Notices

Insomnia. Bored.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When I have trouble sleeping I read. I have an e-ink variety Kindle so there is no backlight and it doesn't mess with my eyes like a computer screen. I have numerous books downloaded to it on not drinking that I go back to. Gets me sleepy every time and gives me to quality material to think about as I slumber.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab, the nurses gave us Sleepy Time tea for the insomnia. Since I've been home, I've found guided mediations for sleep to be a HUGE help. You can find a bunch on youtube. I haven't tried these yet, but I've heard swamij.com, Tara Brach, and John Kabat Zinn have good ones, too.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The ditch all screens one is a key... The blue light from them makes our brain think its sunny out. There are app's/programs you can download that help with the blue light like f.lux. Sleepy time tea works well too..
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sleepy time tea and guided sleep mediation on YouTube. I had never done meditation before but it does clear your head and you will fall asleep. My dreams also haven't been so vivid and unsettling when I wake up in the morning. You'll find something to work for you.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I took melatonin the first week or two sober and a couple of times I used the Paul McKenna "I can make you sleep" meditation/hypnosis app.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have this problem normally and last few nights seemed to get worst. Last night I listened to some podcasts. That way I had no screen blaring, but something to fill my mind. I picked some of interest to me, and not about sobriety. Just to give my mind a break. Sleep well tonight.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks. I just woke up but didn't sleep well. I'll be crawling back into bed in a moment.

I've been reviewing yesterday and one thing that stood out was that I drank a lot of coffee while I usually only have one cup a day max. And after the coffee, I was more restless. I didn't realize that earlier because I've never had that problem before. But I guess a recovering brain responds differently to it.

So I'll try no coffee at all for a few days and see what happens.

Tired. Hoping to get more sleep even though it's 8:15 am. Fortunately my next appointment is not until 3:45 pm.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You can put on your earphones and listen to some hypnosis or guided meditation. If it focuses on your breathing it may help you fall back asleep. Let me know if you want recommendations.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
You can put on your earphones and listen to some hypnosis or guided meditation. If it focuses on your breathing it may help you fall back asleep. Let me know if you want recommendations.
Thanks. And yes, I would love recommendations!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had to stay away from coffee for a while in very early sobriety because it made my anxiety worse. Even after the shakes stopped, coffee caused them to come back.

Hope you got some sleep!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SobrieTee View Post
I had to stay away from coffee for a while in very early sobriety because it made my anxiety worse. Even after the shakes stopped, coffee caused them to come back.

Hope you got some sleep!
I did eventually. Woke up at 12:30 pm.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I like The Meditation Podcast- they are free, guided and short. If you follow the link you can see all the different ones by clicking on the headphones at the top of the page. There is one for "Rejuvenating Sleep."

The Meditation Podcast | Episode The Power of Kindness

As for hypnosis, my favorite self help mp3s are from Erick Brown. Here is one for sleep:

Deep Sleep, Better Sleep Hypnosis - Erick Brown Self Hypnosis Downloads

Also, you can focus on your breathing by doing some exercises while lying down: Check out the 4-7-8 exercise, it is very relaxing.

Three Breathing Exercises and Techniques | Dr. Weil
Old 02-17-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I like The Meditation Podcast- they are free, guided and short. If you follow the link you can see all the different ones by clicking on the headphones at the top of the page. There is one for "Rejuvenating Sleep."

The Meditation Podcast | Episode The Power of Kindness

As for hypnosis, my favorite self help mp3s are from Erick Brown. Here is one for sleep:

Deep Sleep, Better Sleep Hypnosis - Erick Brown Self Hypnosis Downloads

Also, you can focus on your breathing by doing some exercises while lying down: Check out the 4-7-8 exercise, it is very relaxing.

Three Breathing Exercises and Techniques | Dr. Weil
Thanks a lot!