Notices

A fighting chance

Old 02-15-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A fighting chance

Hi. My name is LeonaS, and I'm an alcoholic. Oh, wrong group, sorry! Lol. I'm trying to amuse myself but the truth is I'm terrified. Tonight, I will attend my first "meeting ". I am 7 days sober coming off of drinking a gallon of vodka every 2 days, for the last 10 years. ( I had a 3 month break 2 years ago) without fail. No exaggeration. It never sounded like that much to me until I would tell someone and they either wouldn't believe me, or they would say " Jesus, are you serious?" I would say " well sometimes it's more I guess". Ah, the life of a functioning alcoholic that actually knows they are an alcoholic, but had no reason to stop. ( well I did, I just didn't). I guess my question is...do I bring anything? Cookies or anything? I don't want to be " that guy". I'm swinging out here, driving blind. Completely lost as to what I'm supposed to do with myself now. I haven't left the house in a week. I'm scared of my own shadow. Is that normal?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your first sober week! Yes, it's normal to feel up and down in early recovery. It will get better the longer you stay sober.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to be scared at the outset of sobriety, yes, for sure. I don't go to meetings but I think if you show up, you will be welcomed. I think it's good that you are taking action to help yourself.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband and children are my life, but my animals ( 2 dogs, owned by 1 cat lol) are my lifes comfort.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard LeonaS. You're doing great and congratulations on 7 days.

I think everyone handles the early days of sobriety differently. The most important thing is to do what ever you need to make it through the day without drinking. If that means staying in your house and watching movies, then great.

I promise you, it gets easier with each passing day. Hang in there and lean on us as much as you can early on.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by LeonaS View Post
Hi. My name is LeonaS, and I'm an alcoholic. Oh, wrong group, sorry! Lol. I'm trying to amuse myself but the truth is I'm terrified. Tonight, I will attend my first "meeting ". I am 7 days sober coming off of drinking a gallon of vodka every 2 days, for the last 10 years. ( I had a 3 month break 2 years ago) without fail. No exaggeration. It never sounded like that much to me until I would tell someone and they either wouldn't believe me, or they would say " Jesus, are you serious?" I would say " well sometimes it's more I guess". Ah, the life of a functioning alcoholic that actually knows they are an alcoholic, but had no reason to stop. ( well I did, I just didn't). I guess my question is...do I bring anything? Cookies or anything? I don't want to be " that guy". I'm swinging out here, driving blind. Completely lost as to what I'm supposed to do with myself now. I haven't left the house in a week. I'm scared of my own shadow. Is that normal?
Bring an open mind and two good ears.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was relieved to be told that you don't have to say a word if you don't want to.
They'll ask if there's anyone new to sobriety and if there's anyone new to that meeting. You can just sit there and say nothing if you want.
Only thing I would bring is a couple bucks. They pass around the hat. But even then, there's no obligation to give.
I loved my first meeting. They LOVE seeing a new face.
Holly.🎋
Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, LeonaS.

I have never been to a meeting but, from what have heard, you can expect to be welcomed - and speaking is optional. I have also heard that sticking around after the meeting is a good idea.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At my first meeting I cried the entire hour and a half. They knew I was new as it is a small group. They asked if I wanted to say anything and I said no. When they passed the donation cup around they wouldn't let me give anything, they said they don't take money from first-timers. They did put together a list of phone numbers and some material to take with me. Candies, sodas and water were all supplied from the donation money.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Leana,

I believe you have a great sense of humor. I love to laugh.

I cracked up a few times reading your short note...

Hope I didn't misread it and offend you...

Anyway...

You are one tuff cookie to survive 10 years drinking that hard.

Plus to quit for the last 7 days w out going into shock....you are super strong.

So...you have a lot going for you....

Regarding AA...I got to my first meeting early....sat outside and checked it out for a bit...then walked in...

Nodded and said hi to the people I made eye contact w. Then sat in the back....

It is like SR.....except....you have to listen quietly to everyone's story.

You can't skip out on a dull or overly verbose rant...although I did check my phone a lot...killed a few aliens..

Some people start crying...it gets awkward...

But, the AA meetings are for us alkys to get help. Like minded folk.

The BB plan works if you work it...etc etc...

I quit because I decided to quit...it is working. It has been frigging hard though.

The anxiety has been the looming terror. It seems to lurk...waiting for a weak moment. But, I am getting better by the moment..

Alcohol is poison. Glad to be free.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Leona
Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome - loads of great advice and support on this site, so you came to the right place.

The way you're feeling is anxiety, and it's all completely normal. The good news is that this phase won't last too long.

Good luck at your meeting - let us know how it goes
Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Leona,
2 weeks ago I attended my first meeting and I was scared to death! They will ask if anyone is new and I suggest you raise your hand as scary as it seems. I didn't bc i was scared but now I know it is for a few reasons- In the meetings around here and they will offer you phone numbers which can be helpful to have in the long run, even if you don't want to use them now. They will welcome you, they will raise their hands if they will be a sponsor -- it is scary to find a sponsor - but it is important - if you have a women's meeting in the area try there too. they will hopefully stick around to talk with you after meeting, and they will offer you a 24 hr chip to join them in my experience.

I had no idea what was happening when i went but i have been everyday for the last 2 weeks (sometimes twice a day) and I know it is helping. I know i couldn't do it alone so the comfort of having people who understand me without me saying a word is helping. I still haven't said anything but my name in meetings- they say you speak if you have experience strength or hope. But listening is so comforting.

Just a heads up.... if it is not a good meeting, meaning topics are not about staying sober, and people aren't talking about experience strength and hope... don't give up. Try another one. Sometimes people complain or tell crazy stories that make you think -- I am not like that... but remember what the old timers say.. no I am not like that...YET! that is why we are there to avoid that.

You are 7 days sober which is awesome, you got this... good luck. let us know how it goes
Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OH and they might freak you out like I was freaked out bc they were SO excited to see me there.... but I know now it is because they know where you are and where you can be one day and they are excited to share that with you.
I thought they were a little nuts but heck at least they are sober nutty.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome LeonaS! The anxiety you're experiencing sounds normal to me. Considering the daily quantity you were consuming, it might be worthwhile to consult a Dr though just to be sure nothing else is going on (alcohol withdrawals can be dangerous sometimes)?

Also this:

Originally Posted by LeonaS View Post
I guess my question is...do I bring anything? Cookies or anything? I don't want to be " that guy".
I love this question! You know why? When I was psyching myself up for my first AA meeting ever I called the local AA office and asked about local meetings to go to, and also asked 'Should I bring anything with me?'. The friendly reply on the other end of the phone was (with a small chuckle) "No, just bring yourself brother." I really liked that simple but warm reply. That kinda sums up the camaraderie I've found in AA (sometimes it can take a little looking to find good meetings though that really resonate with you).
Old 02-15-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wished I'd taken tissues - I did a lot of crying in my first few meetings. Mostly from being overwhelmed and relieved at finding a group of people who I could relate to and who understood me.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd say bring a box of tissues for yourself and/or for others... Some meetings may supply them...
Old 02-15-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but welcome to SR LeonaS

D
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess my question is...do I bring anything?

A desire to stop drinking is all that's required.

If you are feeling generous, take a dollar and throw it in the basket when it's passed around.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Leona....

It only took me a week to realize I misspelled your name...

Mental issue for sure...

Wonder how that happened...

How are you?