Notices

Curious, did anyone NOT have brain fog?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

It's like a computer virus in your brain. It just sits there waiting for you to open the file. And once you do, it resets you back to where you where.

If you read through the forum you will see many posts from people who have had serious sober time who started drinking again. And they went right back to where they started. Don't doubt it. And don't test it. There is enough evidence already.
LBrain, this is a very helpful anology for me, thanks for sharing!

I found this "computer virus" anology to be true.....after 1.5 years sober my mind was clear and I drank again and it reset back in the sense that I am back at the state if fog I was in before at this point in sobriety.

To the OP, brain fog is what I find most frustrating and something I want to hit "fast forward" on healing. I want to fix it, control it. In my current recovery I'm working on surrendering control and mindful acceptance that there will be days of fog for at least 1 year or more for me. That way I give time, time.

Now to totally negate what I said about surrendering control 😉....I recommend these things to you, which alleviate my brain fog symptoms:

--cardio exercise (20 minutes is good)
--SLEEP (sleep is such a restorative, healing activity for the brain!)
--cut back on sugar (sugar will spike bloodsugar then drop, during the drop, I experience fog)
--Google mindfulness meditation (helps us accept ourselves as we are, while we heal)

I hope these things help!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I didn't have any withdrawals or brain fog. I don't know why.

This is not to say that I don't feel better physically now, at 82 days sober.

TW
Old 02-14-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

I had such bad brain fog when I was drinking nightly and hungover daily that I felt clearer minded after the first 48 hours, so I really can't say I had long term brain fog once sober. However, I do feel like I have permanent damage in that I am not as strong physically as before I became an alcoholic. Not sure if it is the drinking or the lost time, but hoping to build up strength again.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mine lifted immediately
Old 02-14-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LBrain - "I do know this. If you start drinking again your brain remembers and it goes right back to where it was. Don't doubt it. And don't test it."

Very good. I'll remember that, too.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Nope, not a touch of brain fog. Then again, I was on intravenous amino acids for the sole purpose of preventing such things. And it was expensive. So there'd better NOT have been any brain fog!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

One thing of note: When I was struggling with what we are all referring to as "brain fog," I was quite unaware of it. I struggled with words and memory at times, but that was noticeable, obviously. It took two years and looking back in retrospect for me to even realize how bad things were. Keep this in mind. It might be true for some of you as well. It's a blessing in disguise really. Don't worry too much about things, because the brain and body are great about regeneration and repair.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
One thing of note: When I was struggling with what we are all referring to as "brain fog," I was quite unaware of it. I struggled with words and memory at times, but that was noticeable, obviously. It took two years and looking back in retrospect for me to even realize how bad things were. Keep this in mind. It might be true for some of you as well. It's a blessing in disguise really. Don't worry too much about things, because the brain and body are great about regeneration and repair.
^^^thank you for a reminder. I'm working on 6 months and looking forward to 2 years. 😊
Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Brain fog here, which I think was a manifestation of crappy anxiety post drinking. Last go around in 2014 it was really bad. This time it's starting to lift more quickly but I wasn't drinking nearly as much, nor for as long. Hang in there!