Notices

25, starting to realize I have a problem

Old 02-01-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25, starting to realize I have a problem

Hello everyone.... sorry in advance for the long post.

I'm a 25 year old graduate student, currently living on a different continent from my friends and family. I've always been a heavy drinker, and looking back now I can see that my behaviors have been troublesome for quite some time. However, recently my drinking has become unmanageable.

I pre-drink before pretty much all social engagements, drink when I'm bored, drink throughout the day... You probably get the picture.

I'm really scared. I don't want to go down a path where my drinking ruins everything I've worked so hard for. I haven't told my friends, family, or husband my suspicions.

I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

If you think you have a problem, try quitting. You can do it.

I'm 27 and also about to start a grad program this fall actually. I'm afraid of ruining everything I've worked towards too. I'm on my 9th day sober, so pretty early on. However, I did have a good stretch of 9 months sober that ended last year. It did feel great and I got a lot accomplished for working towards getting into a grad program.

I promise it feels so good knowing that I was always with a clear head and was able to put my best efforts into everything. I promise it's worth it!

:-)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, giveitawaymeow; glad you found us.

You will find lots of support, understanding and encouragement here.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. There's lots of support here for getting sober. I hope you will use it to get sober for good.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there, your post with home with me. Like the previous poster, I'm 27 and decided to quit when I transferred into a new college 4 months ago. I also dont want to ruin what Ive worked so hard for and we really shouldn't. I know the move was quite hard for me, and still is sometimes but it has gotten better. I can't imagine living on a different continent though, that must be exciting and quite frightening at the same time.

They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and I believe that. If you choose to stop now, I think you'll look back on it at some point with no regrets. Thanks for sharing and stay strong!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. It's great you have realised this at such a young age and have the opportunity to something about it now. DO IT ! Don't waste a half your life, like many of us on here have, before you tackle the problem. Sending you strength.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did many of those same things. If you think you have a problem - so much better to do something about it now and not wait another 20 years and countless carnage later.

You will find so much support here if you need.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm an undergrad planning on grad school too.
I had ro quit because wine was ruining my life, stop now and enjoy your life!
Xoxo
Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I do plan to stop, starting today... though I am going to try to take it "one day at a time." Anything more than that seems scary.

I definitely want to stop now, before things get worse or out of control. My life is really wonderful in many, many ways, and I'd like to keep it that way, rather than drowning my anxieties and fears in alcohol
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by giveitawaymeow View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I do plan to stop, starting today... though I am going to try to take it "one day at a time." Anything more than that seems scary.

I definitely want to stop now, before things get worse or out of control. My life is really wonderful in many, many ways, and I'd like to keep it that way, rather than drowning my anxieties and fears in alcohol
Yes exactly, my life is delightful too.
I had to stop drinking before I ruined everything
Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Welcome to SR!

I've been where you are and I know the feeling. I really hope you will give sobriety a real chance now, before it gets worse.

I also knew I had a problem at your age, but I didn't reach out. I am glad you are here, post a lot and read what others have been through.

Personally I fell much deeper than you have to do. I probably wouldn't have listened to advice when I was in your position but I hope you'll make a better choice than I did: Trust me, it can get out of control really fast. And I mean REALLY fast.

I'm 7 years older than you and I count at least 3 of them as "lost ones". Don't go there. Stick around, there's a better life waiting for you
Old 02-01-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Give nice to meet you
Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am also a young person in recovery. Being of the alcoholic type I have found that the only way to beat my addiction is to practice complete abstinence. I needed to surrender. I had to smash any ideas thst someday i will be able to drink like other people.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevepearce View Post
Hi and welcome to SR. It's great you have realised this at such a young age and have the opportunity to something about it now. DO IT ! Don't waste a half your life, like many of us on here have, before you tackle the problem. Sending you strength.
I wholeheartedly concur with the above! I wish I'd listened to that nagging voice in my head when I was your age that was whispering, "this isn't normal and it needs to stop."

We're all rooting for you!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, just wanted to wish you all the best, similar age and I know what it's like to worry about school while trying to get sober. Good luck!