Notices

Do I tell the rehab therapist?

Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I tell the rehab therapist?

Last night I went to a small party. I have 5 days sober. I was anxious. I take Wellbutrin for depression. I take 2 a day. Last night I took a 3rd one. Did I go out? Do I tell the therapist at the outpatient rehab? I think I need to do this program 100% honest. But maybe it isn't that important. I prob need to tell them either way. Maybe I just needed to tell on myself here first.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Definitely tell them. Maybe you need your med adjusted. Don't start using it other than as prescribed.

If you felt like you needed more pharmaceutical help to deal with the anxiety, don't hide that fact. They can only help you if they know what's up.

But honestly it seems like an obvious explanation would be that 5 days sober was too soon for you to attend a party. Simpler, safer, healthier solution would have been to not attend the party.

Last edited by SoberinSyracuse; 01-30-2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Adding one more thought
Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I think you're obsessing about it more than you need to. But why did you take an extra wellbutrine. You know they don't work that fast don't you? Don't do that unless your dr. tells you to. I'm on wellbutrine too.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be upfront

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Last night I went to a small party. I have 5 days sober. I was anxious. I take Wellbutrin for depression. I take 2 a day. Last night I took a 3rd one. Did I go out? Do I tell the therapist at the outpatient rehab? I think I need to do this program 100% honest. But maybe it isn't that important. I prob need to tell them either way. Maybe I just needed to tell on myself here first.
yes you need to be honest with the therapist, it would be useful information on how you are reacting to situations in real time!
Webutrin takes at least a month to get max results same as many other anti-depressants, so the only benefit you would have got would be the placebo effect :-)
It is common in early days to swap alcohol for anything that will ease anxiety - take care :-)
Old 01-30-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely be honest about your meds. Also, in my experience, wellbutrin isnt going to work better because you take an extra pill - at least not immediately. It took me a LOOONG time (literally 8 years) to find the right anxiety med for me. If wellbutrin isn't working, talk with your doc about trying something else. You got this
Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can't stress how important it is in being honest with these matters
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely tell them and definitely don't mess with your meds!
I am also on Wellbutrin (new to it) and can feel it within an hour of taking it (side effects) so I disagree that it wouldn't affect you but not necessarily in a good way. A higher dose is not always beneficial.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did this 'therapist' prescribe it for you?

You need to tell the prescribing physician.

If you want to share it with the 'therapist' at outpatient because you feel the need to tell on yourself, by all means do. You should.

Don't decide to change you meds/dosage by yourself. Consult with the doctor before you make changes.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll add my voice to being honest about the meds whoever is doing the prescribing!!
Old 01-30-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Taking an extra dose of Wellbutrin may have contributed to increased anxiety. I agree with the Sober: going to that party may not have been a good idea...Is the Wellbutrin helping your anxiety? Hope so.

take care...

Blessed Be...
Old 01-30-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would mention it to the prescribing physician and your therapist, press.

One thing I've learned in recovery is that more does not always equal better.
If I'm meant to take one pill, taking 4 is not 4 times as good.

This is all stuff we have to learn along the way. See what your Drs/therapists say

D
Old 01-30-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok. I sent an email to my doctor to get her ok about taking the extra dosage. I don't usually check with anyone when I change my dosage or quit meds. I try to figure it out myself. I do want to be completely honest with the therapists at the program since this seems to matter. I'll talk to her tomorrow. Thank u.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really recommend not adjusting dosages by yourself, press.

I self medicated for years as a drinker and an addict - I don;t want to go back to that behaviour.

D
Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really recommend not adjusting dosages by yourself, press.

I self medicated for years as a drinker and an addict - I don;t want to go back to that behaviour.

D
I totally get how it's a slippery slope. I did in fact slip. It's hard to be patient but that's better than trying to live like I'm a 25 year old party kid.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Pressmetilihurt,

Did you tell her?

How did it go?