Notices

Tweaking my plan

Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tweaking my plan

Hello fam:

I hope that you are all well.

I'm tweaking my plan and part of it is to post a little bit more often. I started my sober journey on March 16 of 2014 I did not have a drop of alcohol for about 13 months, then I had a couple of drinks and after that a few months went by and I had a couple of drinks again and then after a few months I drank one day on my vacation. I decided to go back and read all my posts (which I like to do every once in a while) and I noticed that that first year I was posting at least monthly... After that my posts were less and less, even on participation. I still read everyday, but I think that posting makes it feel closer. My husband knows that I read here and post sometimes but I really don't want to post in front of him so that's why sometimes I don't post even though I want to. This is an excuse tho... If you want something you MAKE the time.

I have decided to participate more even though I feel like sometimes I have nothing to say, or I get a few responses and get a little frustrated. I think this frustration is pure AV. I know I shouldn't post for anyone else here but for myself so I am going to leave all that behind and just post whatever.

So: my AV has been quiet lately (I drank January 6) and my resolve is strong. I just need to keep that resolve when the memories start fading and the AV starts up. I am so much happier sober. It's really great and I love the example I am setting for my daughter. Always waking up feeling good is amazing and I never want to go back to drinking. I am a binge drinker with little support from the people in my life but I know that this isn't up to them.

I posted that my beloved dog passed on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much! We have just adopted a rescue dog and he has been good but has separation anxiety and has gotten out and destroyed stuff while we aren't home. I have been walking him everyday at least once and I am excited about keeping up this routine.

I have a school fund raiser this weekend (my daughter's), a nice party with dinner music and drinks (obviously no kids there). I am not nervous about it because I don't get craving in these situations but I am curious to see how the people respond to my not drinking... We shall see.

Alright... Nowsthetime, here, reporting for sobriety!!!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i like the idea of continuing to IMPROVE our recovery plan until it is rock solid and sets us up for SUCCESS in recovery. good for you!

taking in the rescue pup demonstrates what a kind and loving heart you have. i hope you two "get better" together!!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anvil.

He has definitely been through something. He will not go into any of our bathrooms, every time I move my hands up he puts his head down, so I think he was hit. All I know about him is that he was in a kill shelter and would have been put down if not adopted. I have another dog that I found when I was hiking in 2001. I was worried about her reaction to the new addition but I think the Old lady is liking her new boyfriend. I have had to change my plan a couple of times and I feel that it's always evolving because recovery has so many stages. Surprisingly my plan was more simple at the beginning because I was just so ready and so fed up but when I hit the year mark I believe I started getting complacent. Before I was posting an update at least once a month, when the 16th rolled around and I got another month. I stopped doing that so I think I'm gonna start doing something like that again.

What still really bothers me is that I don't have any real life support, I wish things were different but it is what it is ...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Before I was posting an update at least once a month, when the 16th rolled around and I got another month. I stopped doing that so I think I'm gonna start doing something like that again.
Posting every day in the 24 hour thread helps me commit to sobriety every day. Even if all you post is "24 more" it might help you too. The chat meetings also help me commit, even when I don't share.

Congratulations on your new dog. I have adopted "damaged" rescue dogs, and it can take quite a while before they trust that things will be OK in their new home. I found that routine was the key -- dogs like routine. Walk at the same time every day, feed at the same time(s), no suprises, lots of love and contact (petting and brushing), and they get a little better every day. It can be quite rewarding to watch the changes over time as they learn to trust again.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the consistence comment Vana. I have been feeding him at the same time and brushing his hair and teeth at night but I haven't been so consistent with the walk times so thanks for pointing that out. He really is a very sweet dog, very submissive. I never had a dog that let me brush his teeth so I'm loving it. I always fed my dogs people food on top of the regular doc food in my dog that just passed away had a really bad tooth decay so I am trying to avoid that with this one. I know they suffer a lot because of hurts. He is a collie mix so he needs lots of exercise and attention. I know he is going to be a great dog for our family because it's been a week and a half and I already see positive changes. At first he didn't know how to walk with a leash or harness and he would get right under my feet almost tripping me. He starting to walk a little bit ahead of me with his tail all the way up so I think he's starting to realize that this is home. It's really sad because the first couple of times we had to get him in the truck he did not want to go, like he was afraid to be dropped off somewhere else.

The best thing is that he will never see me drunk and belligerent because he's a very sensitive dog and I think he would be afraid of me and I do not want that .
Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by vanaprastha View Post
Posting every day in the 24 hour thread helps me commit to sobriety every day. Even if all you post is "24 more" it might help you too. The chat meetings also help me commit, even when I don't share.
^This

Or join one of the newcomer's classes, which are set up around the month you quit. Reply to newcomer posts with a simple welcome and an encouraging word. Share your experience. Lot of ways to participate.

I tell people, if you are going to use SR as part of your recovery, use it.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes Dog.

It's like a light bulb came on when I noticed that after the year my posts were less and less. I put 2 and 2 together. Duh!!! I need to take my own advice. I am always telling people to rely on SR and use us as much as they need but then for some reason I will feel silly if I'm just gonna post something that doesn't seem so relevant. I need to stop getting in the way of my recovery. I am very proud of myself for the long way I have come, but I know that this is going to be a battle for the rest of my life.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
He is a collie mix so he needs lots of exercise and attention. I know he is going to be a great dog for our family because it's been a week and a half and I already see positive changes.
Awesome! Collies can be very sensitive dogs, and easily damaged, but once they bond they will be yours for life. I'm partial to Border Collies myself.

My last Border Collie (before the one I have now) was so damaged when I got her that she would not go outside by herself (I think she was afraid of being left out there) and it took six months before she would jump in the back of my car. She got better, and was the best dog I ever had. She kept me alive through some very dark times. I still miss her.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vanaprastha View Post
Awesome! Collies can be very sensitive dogs, and easily damaged, but once they bond they will be yours for life. I'm partial to Border Collies myself.

My last Border Collie (before the one I have now) was so damaged when I got her that she would not go outside by herself (I think she was afraid of being left out there) and it took six months before she would jump in the back of my car. She got better, and was the best dog I ever had. She kept me alive through some very dark times. I still miss her.
I notice he is very intelligent so I am also trying to play with him and provide all kind of toys. It's funny because he knows which are his. So smart! We took him to our farm for the first time this past weekend. I live in the United States Midwest so I had a lot of snow and he loved it and started running around like a madman. It was really awesome to see the happiness in his eyes. I am so excited to be able to give this dog a really good life. I am an animal person and what these little creatures bring to me is more than anything I could ask them for. He has been great with my little daughter too. When we picked him up at the adoption place he came straight to me and got under my legs and wrap his little paw around them he did what I call a "Puppy Hug". I was really emotional because I keep thinking about my dog that passed away so I started crying it was a mixture of sadness for my beloved companion being gone, and happiness for this new addition to our family.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you lost your beloved dog but happy that you're giving another dog a good home. I have two dogs and four cats, and all were rescues. I love being sober because it means I take very good care of them.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Least!!!

Love the quote about living in a car with poochies vs in a castle without them. I agree so much!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Nows