Notices

Radical Life Changing Decisions?

Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

After some time I had to look at why I needed an to escape into the alternate reality of my addiction. I was chasing the good life and was putting myself through hell trying to obtain "things" chasing my tail trying to get there.
When I thought about it all the money in the world wasn't going satisfy or make me content. I was just an obsessive, angry, drunken stress monster. Giving up the drinking, I would still be all of the above only sober.
I evaluated my strong and weak points and changed careers. I took a job doing something I knew I would somewhat enjoy rather than one I thought I could obtain but would send me back over the edge.
Making major changes requires careful rational thought. You should take your time and do some careful self evaluation. Spinning your wheels in a situation where your always discontent is no way to spend the rest of your life though.
I am your age and similar situation with family and kids.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm 53 and 46 days sober. Not drinking is a huge change. I think my attitude has made a huge change. Why did i just think about Donald Trump?

I am trying to make some smaller changes like eating better, gym, minor changes in my behavior. I don't need a radical change to quit drinking but am looking forward to making some once I'm a bit more grounded. I worked as an environmental consultant since college, never like it. Tired to change careers without success a few times. With the weight of booze I think I'll be more successful next time. I just need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up
Old 01-28-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Decided that despite it being quite a good salary I don't really like my job. Determined what career I wanted and took classes and a part-time job in that field to get some experience. Opened my own business (one-man show, no employees) last year. Working it part-time, but later this year I will quit the job I don't like and be full time on my own business.

It has taken longer to do it this way, but it was less risky. My wife thinks I am daft. I'm 51 and could retire in a few years with very good lifetime benefits from the job that bores the crud out of me all day, but that ain't my thing.

Numerous times over the past 3 years my AV has suggested I give up this nonsense of being my own boss and doing things my way. That alone is probably reason enough to proceed.

Good Luck to you!