Notices

4 Weeks.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 Weeks.

Hi.
4 weeks sober today. I've done something to my PC and can't get into chat so I'm just going to post what is on my mind instead.
I did 6 weeks before Christmas and cracked so what is different now ? I will no longer put myself in a position where I feel vulnerable like I did then, agreeing to go out before I was mentally ready for it. As moutainbob said on here, if you hang around in a hairdresser you're more than likely going to end up with a haircut. I have a plan of what I am going to do every day, mostly things that I feel are relaxing or beneficial to my state of mind. I will try and reach out. This is what I find hardest as I am in France not speaking the language, but I do think this can even be done on SR if I am brave enough.
I feel ok, not great. I think before Christmas I was disillusioned when I wasn't feeling it after 6 weeks sobriety, but I now know that It's going to take longer than that for my emotion and mind to stabilise after all the years of abuse.
Building a life without alcohol is a challenge too as I think lately I've been using it sedate myself to the fact that I'm living in a small French village with very little social contact. But we are planning to move to a larger town soon which should help in that respect.
Last week I realised that I was over exercising to compensate for not drinking so I am resting from that now and feel more energetic, just tired from the baby waking us up at night now.
I haven't experienced any resurfacing emotions or unresolved issues so far, something I was expecting. Maybe they are yet to come ?
Anyway thanks for your support I'm sure I wouldn't have got this far without this site and you all. And if anyone has anything they think could help me in anyway please fire away. I will not drink today. I never want to drink again.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't drunk for 4 weeks, but I still feel like I am holding back, holding onto something ? Does this resonate ? Is it normal ? Like something is bottled up inside ? How can I let go ?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where on earth do you start when you need to grieve for the last 25 years ?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Steve
Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Life makes us vulnerable, it revolves around celebrations or catastrophes both of which dissolve into alcohol.
We will get there, insight is one thing and then habit forming the other, retrain the brain, you have a new beginning, go for it.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved your post to this forum Steve - you'll get more response here
Chat is having some problem so it may not be you

I'm not sure it's necessary to 'grieve the last 25 years'. I understand the process - especially at 4 weeks - but I've gotten to a point where I accept the past is done, I can't change it and the best thing I could do now is move on.

I make the most of every day now - I've done more in the last 8 years than I did in the previous twenty.

congrats on 4 weeks
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months!

Early recovery can be a bumpy ride sometimes. Hang on and stay sober. It gets better.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

6 and a half weekend now ! Wow that went quick . Old post ! Yeah thanks guys, still early but I'm beginning to see the light. Yes Dee I can see now that the changes I'm going through are just my brain adjusting to being sober and to ride it out. With support and a plan obviously ! Onwards and upwards I go ! guys !
Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Steve

D
Old 02-08-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic Steve!! Keep it going!!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Yay Steve!!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Steve !
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Steve ,
I used to live in France so i know what the ex-pat community and how alcohol is different in french culture .

Nice to hear your clocking up the days and weeks .

Part of what i had to do , what i have to do is neither live in the past or in the future too much as both were toxic to my sobriety .

Sure there were and probably are some things to deal with but life is served up in day sized chunks because thats all us humans can really deal with IMHO
Old 02-09-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the sober time!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep it up, Steve. IMHO it's more about the journey than the destination. We all know we want to be sober but that isn't the destination. It is a huge step for us on the road to live a better life and become the people we want to be.

For us, alcohol stunts our ability to grow and our interest in doing so. I'm over 70 now and am finally beginning to understand that we never stop growing until it's over. I want to be present and enjoy what's left to the fullest, whatever it may be.