Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anxiety, and brain fog, and insomnia, oh my! (warning, somewhat incoherent)

Notices

Old 01-21-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’ve had a handful of times when I’ve reached 25 days sober, where I am right now, and I always seem to get hit with these feelings at this exact time. Last night, I got about 2 hours of sleep. I woke up and couldn’t for the life of me shake off the racing thoughts and anxious nothings and foggy mindedness. Everything in my brain was scattered, haphazard. And so it is now. This sobriety thing isn’t easy. But I guess no one said it would be.

I looked back on some writings I did during my first major attempt at sobriety (4 months sober = major to me). Looking back on the past is tricky. How does one know its truth from its lies?

It was hard reading over them. It’s hard not to look back at such a time, when I was having success and going in the right direction despite many struggles, without feeling some of the same emotions felt then and the pains of what could have been had I continued. Suddenly, it seems the chains of time become unlinked, and I travel back to a state I thought I lost years ago. The emotional ups and downs. The joy. The struggles. The successes. The progress I had made. Then, all gone, all washed away, with one misstep that I let take me too too far down another road I had been so good at avoiding.

That's alcoholism.

Those writings I looked back on were from 8 years ago. The emotions I feel from reading them should tell me something.

Recover, man. Recover. It’s about time to do this thing for good. For. Good.

Be a better man. A better husband. A better teacher. Better thinker. Better lover. Better thinker. Better doer. Better liver (pun not intended, though appropriate). Hell, a better person. And remember, there is no end to this. Recovery is a process. Recovery is ongoing, everlasting. And that’s beautiful. It means you are always changing. Always growing.

See this scattered, haphazard, anxious, brain battering state as this. As growth. As growing. As getting closer to your best self and always being within a better one.

That’s at least what I’m telling myself. Apologies for this half-coherent rant. If you’ve read this far, bless you (if you haven’t, bless you anyways).

Here’s to another day sober. Stay safe and enjoy the snow.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All those things are common in early recovery. Give yourself more sober time and things will settle down.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Not a rant RattleandHum, just a sad fact of life for the recovering alcoholic, it is tough in the early days, we know that tough though it is, boozing will make things worse.

On the plus side it does get better. Stick with it R&H
Old 01-21-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh, and congratulations on 25 days