Notices

Desperately seeking new hobbies

Old 09-13-2004, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desperately seeking new hobbies

Since drink-a-handle-of-vodka-and-try-to-figure-out-what-you-did-during-your-last-blackout-by-interpreting-the-bruises-on-your-arms-and-whose-pants-you-have on is no longer fun.

Hi all, I'm on day 22 and am starting to look for things to do to occupy my day, since before drinking took up almost ALL of time. Right now my significant other is a huge support for me; I spend a lot of time with him, time I would have normally spent drinking. Well he's leaving the state for 4 months soon, and I vow to stay sober while he's gone. I'm incredibly scared; I know i'll need to find a hobby or project to work on to fill those countless hours we currently spend together. I know I have my friends (thank god), the gym, AA (soon I promise...I'm waiting till I get to 30 days to go to a meeting so i don't have to stand up and announce my newbie status, as that act alone makes me want to run out of the room, arms flailing and bladder losing all control), but I'm going to have to fight the lonliness and my good friend Depression and I don't want to revert to my old ways.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance :rose .

-bea
Old 09-13-2004, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Run-on sentence, cha cha cha!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion. You might like to do some volunteer work. There are all kinds of things in the world of volunteering and it is a great way to get to meet people.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Volunteering is a great idea - try hitting golf balls, gardening, karate, cross-stitch, yoga -learn Spanish...teach yourself to program comuter code, read, learn! Do something you've always been curious about or wanted to try or teach yourself. You can do it!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree. Volunteering saved my skin many times. I got involved with women living in poverty in my city and I thought it was to help them. It turned out to help me so much. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

Love, Anna
Old 09-13-2004, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everyone, i'll look into volunteering in my area.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi bea, you've come a long way already. How good is that?
Hobbies? I think the volunteering idea is superb. By using the time to do totally new things - you'll knock the depression and lonliness into touch much more easily.

You could even start a small home business and make some money.

Deg.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Home business

hmmm. Seems like a good idea, but the only services I can provide are amazing jazz hands, and there's not a huge market for that =).
Old 09-13-2004, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lisa

I took on painting the entire interior of my house this week to avoid boredom. Course I'm starting to think primer is a very nice color to leave it...lol.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kit

I like what Peaches said about doing something you've always been curious about or wanted to teach yourself. I took up yoga, calligraphy and bought a teach yourself Galic course. Man, I'm way to busy to drink. 35 days. YESSSSSSSSS!
Old 09-13-2004, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Keep searcing for things that interest you. What about taking a class? That will keep you busy. Something of interest you've alway's wanted to learn about.

Ohhhh gotta laugh, hate to say it but you'll still be a newbie to AA, and you know your going to have to be properly welcomed! *LOL* Don't wait, just go, then you can get started on step work, ooopss, another thing to keep you busy! *hugs*
Old 09-13-2004, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey Bea--Way to go with the sober time. You have got a lot of good ideas for keeping busy, so I won't go into that.

I do have to agree with Chy. There is no need to be scared. At the beginning of all the meetings I go to they ask if anyone is there for their first meeting since their last drunk. If anyone is, they introduce themselves by their first name, everyone says, "welcome, we're glad you're here," and then they go on with the meeting. Some meetings make the discusion about the first step if there is a newcomer, but most of them just go on as usual. After the meeting, people go up to the newcomer and introduce themselves, give out phone numbers, etc. Then they never have to go to their first AA meeting again!!! Just GO, find a sponsor, and get to work on the steps. That will keep you very busy.

Love ya, hon'--
Old 09-13-2004, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

lets see. how about collections? when i got clean, i thought of some silly action figure that i could collect. now ive got 50 of them! haha. volunteering is great fun. soup kitchens are my favorite. how about redecorating? it can be cheap (sometimes) if you go to a target or walmart. how about taking walks? they are fun and they wear me out.

hugs,

dot
Old 09-14-2004, 02:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sick & tired ---i will go to a meeting with you if you would like. pssst...but you cannot tell anyone here that i am really the chesire cat. part of how i do volunteer work is to support people in their sobriety, this involves meetings sometimes. since los angeles is huge and you could be anywhere miles and miles away from me....i will at least take you to one meeting, as long as you promise to not lose control of your bladder!
hugs- alice
Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Alice--you are so cool!

Bea--now you don't have an excuse! I wish someone from my town was on SR. Of course, maybe they are and I just don't know it!!!

Love and hugs to all--