Notices

Using Dreams

Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Monica

Using Dreams

Hello everyone
I just wanted to know that I'm not alone.... Last night I had a using dream, it was so really in fact i woke up and questioned if i got high. I actually was disappointed at first thinking that I lost my clean date. From what I hear they never go away. I catch myself now re-playing the dream in my head, I know that when I play the whole tape through I really never had a good time.
Well thanks for listening
Monica
Old 09-13-2004, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

:rose
Monica,
You are not alone! using dreams are very common. I had my first one about 6 months into recovery and it scared me to death. My therapist assured me it was not unusual and even can be a help in recovery. I have come to see patterns in when I have them, usually I am under some stress and it helps me idetify what I am trying to avoid and then I can deal with it in a healthy manner. I recently had a dream I was using 2 nights in a row and actually woke up the second night chuckling, because you see, I live in Florida and we have had these little things called Hurricanes threatening us the past few weeks! I was able to identify it and talk it out with my best friend and my Dad. Typically, the dreams diminish as you get farther into recovery.
So, I wouldn't say enjoy them, but appreciate the feeling you get when you realize it was just a dream and YOU ARE STILL CLEAN!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sam082602

Hello, Monica!!

No you are not alone, cuz' even at just over 2 years sober, if I get really stressed out or have a really painful day, I still have using dreams. So hang in there cuz' they do get fewer and farther between. Pray your ass off and know that you are in my prayers!! Love, Samantha

Old 09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Monica

It's funny to say but its the only time i can get high and have no consequences.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

I've been having similar dreams almost every night.Not actually using dreams.In them I am desperately trying to score some weed but nothing ever comes through for me.Sometimes they reoccur during the same night after I have waken and gone back to sleep.What a reminder of all the time I've wasted just trying to get some and stressing out because I had none!If anything,these dreams strengthen my resolve!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by sam082602
Pray your ass off and know that you are in my prayers!! Love, Samantha

I like that one!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
easydoesitmikey

everyone has using dreams as far as i know.people talk about them at meetings all the time.i know mine have seemed very real,i wake up drenched in sweat

Old 09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Your not alone! Even after a few 24 hours last week I had a drinking dream, it's terribly frightening, I was so disappointed and it took me a couple of hours to orient myself into the fact it was only a dream! I think they come to remind us of where we don't want to go again.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Yup--you are not alone. I am having them ALL THE TIME right now. Used to scare the heck out of me, but I realize now that drinking and smoking were a huge part of my life for many years, and now NOT drinking and smoking is a huge part of my life, so it makes sense that I would dream about it!!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-20-2004, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tha toastah

i love using dreams

I just love the feeling of relief when i wake up and it was a dream!
i get them really often... once i even dreamt that i was using, and saying "ohh i wish this was a dream!! damit!"
Old 09-20-2004, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are definately not alone. Like Lulu said, we used for so long, and now we're clean, it's only natural that we would dream about it. The first couple scared the $hit out of me. Now I wake up relieved and remember the insanity of my using, and how I don't want to go there again!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

You can't control the night dreams.It's the daydreams that count!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Using dreams can be very unsettling. I have heard it said that a using dream is a clue that something may be bothering you that you are not quite aware of yet.