Notices

The Pink cloud

Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Pink cloud

Good morning guys,

Long time no speak,

My first post of the year is about the Pink cloud syndrome,

Is it a good or bad thing and what are your thoughts on it? Does it even exist? Are you on it? Have you been on it?

Happy new year,

Bruno.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I've had it. Use that time to get a long-term plan in place for beyond the honeymoon period.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had it about a month or two in on and off for like 6 months. I would be so happy, and all kinds of spiritual and just out there. I felt full of love at times so much I could have exploded. I believe it has to do with neurotransmitters just firing off all over the place. It evens out.

Jennifer
Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, it's gear while it lasts but it always passes and drops us back in reality at some point. It's best to prepare for it.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a really fantastic pink cloud around the one-month point. I was giddy, cheery, and thought that sobriety was so easy. Then I fell off the cloud and back to reality. As Scott said, it is best to prepare for the time when the cloud dissappears cause it's back to work at that point.

Delfin
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeap it's definitely a thing but the important thing is to get your plan together, clock up some Sober time and then when it fades your well equipped to keep pushing forward!!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Yes, I've had it. But I didn't use the time to make a plan so once it passed, I unfortunately relapsed.

Now I know the game. Use that wonderful energy of the pink cloud to put your plans and systems in place so that once the euphoria passes, you'll still be able to remain sober.

In other words, seize the day!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yup, been on it.
and had a pink parachute,too.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Pink cloud means diffrent things to diffrent people for me it is simply a good mood or a piece of happiness that is in everyday life
Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes gotta love the pink cloud... I also rode it right into a relapse. I know better now to enjoy it but not expect it to last. It does feel great after feeling like crap for years. I agree it's a great place to work on long term goals and review your recovery plan.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never had it.
My happiness was a 'grower'...

How are you doing Bruno?

D
Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Know about it, but never experienced it Bruno.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No pink cloud for me either........but things got progressively better.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes i had it. My body and brain felt great. I felt much faster and the fog of early sobriety lifted. Then i went into a depression this time. I cant say if its specific to the pink cloud or just an episode.
I felt the pink cloud the last time i was sober also.
Regardless if you get it life is a roller coaster. Enjoy the highs and plan for the down times.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
now's the time

For me in early sobriety, my mind has two states... one that's "real", i.e. I feel like myself and my emotions feel natural and not overpowering. Another that's "recovery", which in turn can be broken down into several categories: extremes of depression, aggravation, fatigue, fogginess, or euphoria. What they all have in common is that they feel unnatural and intense. Sometimes outsize in relation to the trigger, sometimes not triggered by anything at all.

In the beginning it was almost always recovery with very little real. So the pink cloud (euphoria) was essential to me. It kept me going.

These days, a whole lot of my time feels "real". And my "real" brain is happier than it was 6 months ago when I quit and keeps getting more so.

So now the pink cloud is a little less welcome, because it still feels a bit strange and I don't need it as much anymore. But I still enjoy it for the most part. And whatever "recovery" mode kicks in, I just remind myself, this is chemical. This won't last. Don't get too attached to the good, and don't get too worried about the bad.

I think people talk about it so much because if you confuse the pink cloud with "real", you'll eventually even out and be upset when you can't achieve that particular natural high anymore. The come down can be a sobriety killer.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had very up moods, especially up to and at six months, maybe that was pink cloud. Really up days used to mess with my head because I always feared something awful would happen later. Not rational, I know, but things used to happen that way for me a bit.

So I learned to enjoy the heck out of those up times when they came, and kind of bank the happy for when something bad happened or my mood shifted. That worked for me, until everything evened out more.

It gets better, much better! At one year, I felt good and "normal" in a way I don't think I had ever really known before.