Notices

My two biggest fears in one week - dentists and planes

Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My two biggest fears in one week - dentists and planes

Irrational, I know.

I'm having a bridge done due to my neglect/fear of the dentist. 4 root canals and 4 teeth pulled with only novacaine and Tylenol3 afterwards. Not going to lie , I was considering asking for tranqs prior to and nitrous during. I did neither. The endo was going to write a script for Vicodin but never did. I have to say I was so afraid of the pain. Surprise, the Tylenol worked wonderfully! This was New Year's Eve. I just hope this temporary appliance holds up.

Now, my mother's ill and having a procedure on Monday. I'm getting on a plane and flying across country tomorrow with one days notice. This will be the first time I'll fly in the almost three years (1/30/13) since I've gotten sober. In the past, there was a lot of shots and beers to get me on the plane and through the flight. I'm already having panic attacks. I'm allowing myself benedryl just before to take the edge off and hopefully sleep.

Haven't thought of drinking.

Just looking for some head pets, lol.

I'm going to miss my little angels in my profile so much! But I'm glad I'm sober and can be there for my mom.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad too black kittehs - you're doing well

D
Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey 2 kitten, I hear you. I really don't like to fly either. I would always get a little loaded before a flight too. I haven't flown since I have gotten involved in sobriety so I don't have any first hand advice. But maybe if you had someone with you who new your condition to help keep you straight right up to the flight. Whatever happens good luck and major props for how you did your dentist visit. Those pills would be a easy way to put you in the mind to drink. I know they do me. Anyway, sending you bravery and hope. John
Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto.

I hadn't been to the dentist for over 20 years when I got a persistent toothache. Eventually went and ended up with 3 tiny fillings (I have good teeth genes) although the tooth that caused me to go was strangely fine. Basically I came away a bit in awe of how dentistry has changed, especially the painkillers.

As for planes I'm a nervous wreck until I'm at the airport then excitement takes over. Planes are a massive trigger though.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work
Old 01-03-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Iam the opposite I can only fly sober even tho I do get a bit of anxiety, what helps me is a mediation audio book and headphones.
Hope it goes well.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have a safe flight and a good visit.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are keeping it together, congratulations and have a great flight.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope everything goes well, keep pushing through!!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My two biggest fears are also the dentist and flying.

What helped me get over my gum surgery, was my sponsor told me to bring God into the process and connect with Him beforehand.

This helped me be very calm that morning. I listened to soothing music on the drive over. During the procedure, I asked for the local news to be turned off (way too negative and depressing) and I listened to meditative music during the procedure (never listen to that sort of music while driving since it can be dangerous). I made it through. I took deep breaths and focused on my breathing. If any muscles were tense, I relaxed them.

The other thing that helped me was closing my eyes and thinking about my dogs. I tried to picture them there with me.

If I had to fly, I'd try to use these same techniques.