Notices

Binge Drinking

Old 01-01-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking

I'm just after seeing if anyone can relate. I binge drink. It's a cycle, every 3/4 months I will have a drink which will lead to a 3/4 day binge. Last time it happened was September time I think. The latest one started on Monday and stopped in the early hours of Thursday. My kids don't understand because I don't drink normally but I start to feel trapped and need to get away and my way of doing that is by getting drunk. I did have a couple of nights out in December where I had a few beers but it didn't get out of hand and I stopped when I got in. Can anyone relate? Any tips?

BTW before I had my middle son (he's just turned 8) I was really bad. The binges would come every couple of weeks and I wouldn't dream about not having a drink on the weekend. In that sense I have moved on but it just seems to get the better of me. I almost feel annoyed that I can't get drunk if I want to. My shame this time comes from stealing wine from my mums house and not doing stuff I had planned to with the kids this week. We should have had a lovely week together and I slept through most if it.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah I can relate. I drank everyday and binged every weekend. I slowed down but still when I drank something inside wanted it all.
I think it is tricky if you are annoyed that you can't drink because that means that it is something you see as pleasurable. For me, I'm only on day 6 after a slip, I need to see drinking for what it is and does, an addiction that is basically making my life a lot worse than it should be.
If you do want to stop this site is a great starting point. Full of fantastic people and advice.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Charliesworld

I was a binger too back in my beginning days - more weekly than monthly but I lost a lot of weekends...

I think when your kids want you to stop and you're stealing alcohol from your mom's place, those are some pretty good red flags.

It's time to stop.

Those times when you drink and nothing bad happens and you stop are just dumb luck believe me. I had them too. I forgot anout the other 4497 times I screwed up badly.

Even a bad gambler gets a good roll of the dice sometimes.

It doesn't mean you can be a moderate drinker someday.

D
Old 01-01-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't understand why every few months I start to think I'm entitled and it's ok. It's not ok. Did I point out my partner locks me in the house and I have to climb out of the window to get my drink? Not not not ok!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I can relate, for me it's when I become tired and mentally weak, pain from traumatic events get the AV going and I will binge anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks, longest was three months non stop, this time in and out of hospital five times and finally trying to get into detox, this happened in November of last year after a 8 month sobriety and this one was really bad, Detox was full but the emerg which I was in five times during this period helped me, finally a doctor with personal experience of what I was going through, here in a term from Australia medicated me for PTSD, OMG within three days my brain was clearing, the AV had no power, I had meds to keep the DT's somewhat at bay but the first time I was able to detox myself as Detox was full with a long waiting list. Haven't touched or even though of touching a drink since Dec 12th.

I am a binge closet drinker, I do not go anywhere except to get my beer, I have no idea how or the vodka to help with shakes in the morning, when I say I have no idea how 90%+ of my memories are gone as I go into a constant blackout, it's scary stuff but I am working on what I should have finished three years ago when I put a plan in place that was working.

Happy New Year
Andrew
Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
I start to feel trapped and need to get away and my way of doing that is by getting drunk.
Your way isn't working. Instead of trying to force your way to work, find another one.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Charliesworld

I was a binger too back in my beginning days - more weekly than monthly but I lost a lot of weekends...

I think when your kids want you to stop and you're stealing alcohol from your mom's place, those are some pretty good red flags.

It's time to stop.

Those times when you drink and nothing bad happens and you stop are just dumb luck believe me. I had them too. I forgot anout the other 4497 times I screwed up badly.

Even a bad gambler gets a good roll of the dice sometimes.

It doesn't mean you can be a moderate drinker someday.

D
This
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like alcohol is not working anymore Charlie, for me it was the same, sure I could maybe go a day or so without, but then things would gradually spiral into chaos once again over a few weeks.

The misery caused by binges start to get to the point of not being worth it anymore, and the misery caused in those 3/4 days of heavier drinking than usual are still being destructive.

For me parting ways with alcohol solved all problems in terms of my drinking habits!!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have that exact same problem, sounds like I could have wrote this lol. Mix in bad gambling along with my binges and that's me...very depressing and that's why I'm here! Working on day 6 and feel real good today just got back from the gym and feel good I have energy and my 4 day hangover is over...starting this new year off in a good way.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I want to put in place a plan of action this year. Not sure what that looks like yet but I've started to read through the information on this site. I need to have a good look through everything and find what best fits for me. x