Notices

First day of sobriety

Old 12-29-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day of sobriety

Hi everyone. Today is my first day of sobriety. Not so hard since I had pretty tough hangover today. I know tomorrow will be more difficult but I've come to the point that I'm not wondering if I have a drinking problem - I know I do. In May I had my first DUI at 50 years old. Luckily, no one was hurt. But the fact that I kept drinking is a testament to this disorder. I know it's imperative for me to quit - for me and my family. I've been a couple of AA meetings and it just doesn't feel comfortable.for me. I'm hoping this forum will give me support in obtaining and maintaining my sobriety.

I've read a couple of "My Story" posts and it's very encouraging that there is hope to quit for good. I need every bit of hope I can muster. I really want the type of life I've read others describe - stability, less anxiety, more joy. I find my "weak" hours are between 4-6 pm. If I can make it home without stopping by the liquor store or bar, I'm good to go. I think I've conditioned myself to view alcohol as an after work reward. Just need to find something else to do.

One person described just coming to the site when tempted - it's a good start. I am grateful this site is here.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beanie - welcome.

This sounds like me, right down to the DUI as an 'older' person. I used it to cope all my life, but in the end it was doing just the opposite. I was anxious, argumentative, miserable. No fun or joy. We don't need it in our lives. Glad you have come to this wise conclusion - you can get free.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hevyn. It feels good to know someone is like me re: my patterns and mistakes. Feeling hopeful!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. We want to help you get sober for good.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR BeanieBaby! Love your screen name.
Feel free to come join us in the Class of December here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...15-pt-3-a.html
Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Welcome.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BeanieBaby!!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by BeanieBaby View Post
I find my "weak" hours are between 4-6 pm.
Hi BB, thanks for posting. I can identify with what you are saying: 4-6 pm is my vulnerable time too. Any combination of being hungry and tired puts me at risk. Also any gap between focused activities--in which drinking might be inserted--puts me at risk. I have had help from great folks at this site who are fabulous at explaining how to manage these 4-6 pm risk factors.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the gang BeanieBaby

D
Old 12-31-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Warm welcome and lots of luck to you on your much more positive journey. There's lots of us middle age types around, so don't feel alone.
xx
Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome BeanieBaby
Old 12-31-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here

I quit at over 50 and was sick and tired of false promises to myself and others. This time I mean it! This time will be different, etc. Funny thing is I really did mean it lots of times.

My will power simply was not enough. I need additional support which has now grown into marvelous fellowship of friends. No one who walks into AA for a couple meetings feels comfortable, just opposite.

I say this because I was the same way. But, I made a decision to go to any lengths to quit and stay stopped. At my age the habit was pretty well ingrained and my self will and best intentions needed support.

SR is a great place - I find the combination of an interactive forum and a program of recovery live are invaluable.

I learned to never say never keeping all options available.
Welcome
Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, BB!!

I'm 49, been drinking hard every day for decades, but somehow the last year or so has been one of "firsts." First seizure, first accident, first hospitalization, first DWI arrest. I'd say my drinking career has pretty much run its course.

Sorry 'bout the hangover, but if it helps you not drink for your first day, just roll with it. Can you get a plan for tomorrow so that you don't booze up again once you feel a little better?

I've quit a few times in the last year but only made it a few weeks before relapsing. That's because all I did was quit drinking, and had no plan for how to deal with the void left by alcohol.

So long and short, it's awesome that you'll start 2016 alcohol-free. Just get a good game plan for how to handle the 4-6 time slot, how to stay out of temptation, what to do with the extra hours in the day you're going to have, etc.

Please post back and let us know how it's going, okay?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I want to add that for me, I finally got to a place where there was NOTHING I wouldn't do to get sober. I'll pay any price, sacrifice anything else in my life, and do anything it takes.

The October DWI moved my life from a closet functioning alkie into the legal system, license suspension, etc. My status had somehow changed.

And then, after two weeks sober.... I was hit with a craving and relapsed. That's when I truly saw I was losing the battle and I decided I HAD to stop drinking and I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Nothing else is as important as getting sober.