Notices

This feels hopeless!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This feels hopeless!

I keep trying and trying and trying. In and out of hospitals and rehabs and therapy. I've become exhausted.
Because each time I feel SO determined and motivated to stay sober, swear off alcohol but ALWAYS return. It's making me cry now.
I have a huge past that I'm sure many can relate to, all that comes from drinking, but won't go into that.
I just always think that this time, this time is it. That's it. I've almost died from seizures, ruined relationships but still how can I always convince myself this time will be different?
I was crying today. Only on day 5, telling myself no. I tried exercise and reaching out but all I could think of were those initial feelings I get when I drink.
That happy buzz that only lasts an hour. Then I'm screwed for days and end up in a blackout. I can't get that hour out of my head. I crave that great hour I have with alcohol too much even though I know it inevitably screws up everything.
I've tried so many things and feel like I'll never be free.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome BrightHalo nice to meet you youl find tons of support here
Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there, brighthalo. Keep moving. Eat. Drink water or juice. Go to sleep. Talk to us. You can do this. I know it's hard. Day 5 is really hard. You'll be so glad to reach day 6 sober. You're doing great!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, BrightHalo. Congrats on day five! That is excellent! Stay strong. Read the posts; you will find a lot of people here just like you, and a lot of great support.

I will be thinking of you during this difficult time.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just go to bed sober tonight, no matter what your addiction is whispering in your ear. It is a liar.

Keep reading here and keep posting! Welcome to the site.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I thought I'd never be able to quit drinking because I couldn't live without the immediate relief booze gave me. Its so hard in the beginning stages because youre so physically and psychologically dependant on the booze. Everyday will be a battle that you have to win, a challenge. Using techniques like AVRT (addiction voice recognition therapy) that can kill the voice that tries to convince you that you need to drink and using the daily support threads and chat room all help. it is possible, you can do it. I think things start to become easier at around 3 months. Good on ya for posting
Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank-you for selecting us to Vent to Everyday is a new day, every attempt brings us ONE STEP closer!

Be determined-set your mind to sobriety. It is harder then in sounds, but I believe it is worth it
Old 12-18-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. It's hard at first to stay sober, but the rewards down the road are worth the effort. Why don't you join the Class of December thread on this forum? It's a great way to get support and get to know others who are also getting sober.

We also have a 24 hour recovery connections thread in the Daily Support forum. You post once a day to commit to staying sober for the day.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

(((BrightHalo))) I am so glad you have reached out here. Everyone is so welcoming and supportive on this site.

Please hang around, read posts, write posts. Even if you can't believe you will ever be free, I believe you can. It will be hard, but it will be the most worthwhile fight of your life.

We are here for you
Old 12-18-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Support really made a difference for me Bright Halo and I know you'll find a ton of support here

welcome aboard

D
Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Bright Halo, I'm glad you're here. You sound so much like me. One of the reasons I had such a hard time giving up the booze was the buzz from those first few drinks. I lived for my "happy hour" at the end of the day. It was sweet relief. But like you said, it only lasts a short while and then what? Well, you want to get it back, right? After that first buzz would wear off, I'd want to get it back, so I'd go get more booze. But instead of getting the buzz back, I'd just get hammered. And even though I'd wake up in the morning in a fog, sometimes remembering the night before and sometimes not, I'd still be chasing that buzz again the next day. It's incomprehensible but that's what we do.

You will find the support you need here. I myself haven't been coming here often enough lately, but I plan to. I hope you do too. We can do this.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, BrightHalo, to SR.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes and kind advice. It's so helped xo
Old 12-18-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hang in there! 5 days is better than 4 ! just keep thinking one day at a time. you can do it if I can!!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi BrightHalo. I felt just as you do once - when I first came here with my life in ruins. By talking things over, I found the courage & strength I needed. It helps to have the understanding of those who truly care. We know what you're going through - and you are not alone.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The price we pay to drink is just not worth the cost.
Welcome and stay strong to resist.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
orangutan

Welcome to SR BrightHalo. Glad you found us.