Notices

first post .. its a doozy

Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first post .. its a doozy

Today 07:46 PM by itsme123
hey everyone
this is my first post
its going to a be a little depressing . my mom is an alcoholic and i started drinking frequently when i was 20. when i turned 21 i had a few episodes of extreme binge drinking . very extreme. im lucky to be alive.
well im in college. about to apply to an engineering college in a few months. but after those episodes, my brain has been extremely foggy. i cant focus on anything and i generally cant think well. ive got a great gpa as of now, but i dont know if ill be able to complete my degree with my new brain so to speak. I drank because of my anxiety and insecurities. i put my mom threw a lot and may have ruined my future. see, i said it would be sad hahah. well, i just made an account because i cant talk to anyone about this right now. its a heavy burden, but im trying to stop it before a year becomes 2 and then 3 and so on. complete abstinence is what i feel i need
Old 12-16-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it man. It's gonna suck for the first week or 2 but you will feel so much better after. Join the gym in school. I'm sure there's some pretty hot college tail in there that will distract you from drinking. haha
Old 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The first couple weeks can be rough, but hang in there, it gets better.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry about your Mum, it is difficult being the child of an alcoholic.

I always really admire young people like yourself who have the courage to admit that, despite your young age, you already have a problem. So many young people today write their drinking off as "totally normal and what everyone their age does" and before they know it they are in their 40s having left a trail of destruction behind them (as is my case).

So you have already jumped a major hurdle by recognising the problem, signing up here and looking for help.

Yes, abstinence is the only way forward. You feel fuzzy now but the brain is an amazing organ and if you start to take care of your body and mind now you will bounce back.

So what's your plan? What are your ideas about how you might turn things around? Where will you start?

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Itsme. Good for you on realizing you've got to make a change. I wish I would have made that decision when I was your age versus spending two decades drinking, drinking, drinking.

Lean on us as much as you need. The first week is probably the toughest, so post when you are feeling weak.

Welcome to SR.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome itsme123

The foggy brain will definitely go away - just how long that will take varies from person to person tho

How long have you been sober?

D
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome ItsMe
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, itsme, and congratulations on your decision to seek sobriety at such a young age.

Treat yourself well - eat healthful foods, drink plenty of water, get fresh air and exercise, and try to rest; your mind will clear in time.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your lucky to recognise you have a problem so early, you can change your life before making all the mistakes most of us have, I lost near on twenty years.
stay strong and listen to the advise these guys give you. Good luck
Old 12-16-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, itsme. I'm so glad you're looking at what alcohol does to you. I knew in my 20's I didn't drink normally, but that didn't stop me from destroying my life by trying to moderate. You're doing a great thing by taking charge. Glad to have you with us.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you for the welcoming reception everyone
the support here shown me how important it is to have and how lacking it is in my life at the moment.
I've only been 3 days sober but you gotta start somewhere right.
i just have no off switch with drinking.
no moderator
Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SLD

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
Your lucky to recognise you have a problem so early, you can change your life before making all the mistakes most of us have, I lost near on twenty years.
stay strong and listen to the advise these guys give you. Good luck
IWTL, I'm just like you. I call my 40's, from 40 to 50, the "Lost Decade." I did little except track down opiates of any kind. Got on Subutex, then began to drink. I'm determined (as so many here are) to RECOVER MY DAMNED LIFE and make something of the time I have left on this Earth.

Itsme123, Good on you for realizing what's happening to you. You can skip the lost decade, or two, or three, by making the change now. You can do it! Imagine how hard it will become if you travel the drunkard expressway for 10 or 20 more years. Whip it now!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you sld ! thank you everyone !
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hit itsme, I'm 48 years old and only wish I could have had your wisdom at my age. I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Your life can and will be so much better if you can get alcohol out of your life at such an early age. Its a huge advantage. The sky is the limit. Some of us (like myself) won't get that chance.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It has been said multiple times, but is worth saying a few more- You have given yourself such a wonderful gift by realizing your problem so early on. This is one win already. Build off of that win and keep them coming! Keep posting here for support. We're all here for you.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome to the club of broken off switches. You are not alone
Old 12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome and good for you realizing you have a problem now. Take care and stay strong.

Susan