Notices

Don't know how to stop drinking...

Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know how to stop drinking...

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I don't really know where to start. This is this first time i've asked for help with this problem. My drinking has always been a problem but now its totally out of control. Any time now i plan on having a few drinks ends up resulting in me drinking for days on end, blacking out and not knowing where I've been. I'm worried that one day I'm going wake up in hospital or jail. Its been like this for years now and I really do try to stop but in the end i always fail. Where do I start with this?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome Darrin. You know the first step, don't have that first drink. Then repeat that each day. I know it's simple in concept but not so easy in practice. Best thing to do is read many of the posts here and especially the stickies at the top of the page. You'll need to put a plan in place on what you're going to do differently to keep from drinking. It boils down to life style changes you need to do. That's going to be different for everyone.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hospital, jail, or not waking up at all. Those are all wakeup calls that most of us have experienced.

Stopping drinking is as easy as not picking up the drink, but it is as hard as not picking up that drink.

I use AVRT which has to do with mind over matter. There are lots of techniques out there but many have success with AA. For some that is what really drove home the point of not drinking. For some it takes inpatient, or outpatient rehab. Alcohol is a nasty lingering thing.

This is not an easy task you are thinking about doing but it is very rewarding if you are having troubles with your drinking if you can successfully stop. Youve come to the right place to seek help. But it is ultimately up to you to stop. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You will be able to stop drinking when you want to be sober more than you want to drink. Do whatever it takes to get to that point. I hope the support here can help you get sober.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Darren

I'm on my first day of sobriety after falling off the wagon at the end of April. As jd1639 says, use this forum. Post or read rather than drink. Be honest with yourself and own up if you do have a drink.

I am a visual person so I put notes around the place. I have lists of the benefits. I've printed off some particularly useful (for me) posts.

It is not going to be easy - most people have periods of insomnia, tiredness etc. But then one day you look back and realise how much better you feel, you look, your relationships are.

Good luck
Old 12-15-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarrenF View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I don't really know where to start. This is this first time i've asked for help with this problem. My drinking has always been a problem but now its totally out of control. Any time now i plan on having a few drinks ends up resulting in me drinking for days on end, blacking out and not knowing where I've been. I'm worried that one day I'm going wake up in hospital or jail. Its been like this for years now and I really do try to stop but in the end i always fail. Where do I start with this?
Loads of people here have done it.....so it's possible to achieve. We've got to believe it's possible for us too.

I'm commenting on the title of your thread because it's making me think I've been asking myself similar questions in a negative sense too...

"don't know how to stop drinking" could be better "how do I achieve sobriety?"

I've been saying to myself "why can't I get out of this hole" could be better "how do I get the life I want?"
Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Darren!!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had my last drink a week ago. Wanting to quit is the first step. Congratulations...Ya got that one and it a is BIG one.

How do you stop? Just don't drink today. Do something else, distract yourself. Post and read this board rather than drink. Focus on just this one day don't think about 5 years from now. It's easier to skip one day of drinking, I'm sure you have done that before. Then do it again tomorrow. Consider adding AA or other support groups.

Best Regards
Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i am also back at it today. As everyone said its as easy as not picking up a drink, but as hard as not picking up a drink. I am still trying to figure out what will work for me.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome im only on day 9 but i know i wont drink because i figured out the first step, i will not pour the poison down my throat, the rest i will learn as i go, so far so good thanks to the support on SR, please join me i have already given you step one the rest we can figure out together as we go.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Darren. You should be proud of yourself
Old 12-15-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As Grizz posted - it all starts with the plug in the jug!

When the consequences of drinking got to much I sought outside help and joined SR. As you note, the end results are bad and we don't have to take the elevator all the way to the basement. We are free to get off at any floor!

Welcome, glad you're here posting
Old 12-15-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know that it seems an unsurmountable task.
Many of us have felt the same way.
I assure you that it is possible.
Try a 12 step program, maybe if only to meet some people in your area who can help you through.
If you really are feeling badly, be ready to go to the doctor, and be HONEST with them about what is happening.

After the initial detox, it really is one day at a time. Its tough for a while. But you CAN do it. All you need to do is not pick up a drink right NOW.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I'm really going to make a go of this. Its good to know I can come here for advice, I think its going to help a lot.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
totfit

I think something key you said was, "any time now I plan on having a few drinks.....". I think first you need always to plan on not drinking anything at all. Sounds like you could change any time to every time and internalize that. Every time it is miserable. Does not make sense to pick up again thinking it will be different. Start with that and just open up to different things you hear. Welcome. You will be amazed at how different things can be for you if you "stop starting".
Old 12-15-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome DarrenF. I am new as well. Good luck to you - Stay strong- you are not alone on here!