Notices

Trying again....day 2

Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again....day 2

It was a few years back when I first joined here, and since then I probably tried to quit drinking 20 times. I can easily make it a week or two, but when the fog clears and reality sets in, it's just too much to handle. I suffer depression and anxiety issues also, and basically self-medicate with alcohol. Feels silly to have not continued with quitting when I first joined here, as I surely wouldn't be stuck in the life mess I am now.

No meetings anywhere near here (remote SE Asia), so online support will have to suffice. I just need to learn some coping skills other than picking up a bottle. Yes, it's a progressive disease and for the past 2 weeks, I have lost a day out of each week. No idea what happened with them, but the blackouts are my bottom. Wife is supportive, and I'm sharing all this with her. Hope we can get through this and find a better life for us all. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back DreamBig

Most of the meeting based recovery methods have online meetings these days - AA, SMART, Lifering...some even Skype...so geographic remoteness shouldn't be the barrier it used to be

D
Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For most of us anxiety and depression were an excuse to keep drinking. I know I used alcohol to treat my symptoms. The reality is that the alcohol caused my anxiety and depression. When I removed alcohol I was able to develop tools to deal with life on life's terms.

This site has a deep well of wisdom for finding ways to cope with problems. I hope you'll stick around - the people here understand and care.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back, DreamBig.

SR is here for you 24/7; there is always someone here who cares and truly wants to see you succeed.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back DreamBig!!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you DreamBig

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 12-04-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I had similar patterns when I tried quitting many times. I could make it a week or maybe 2 and then I would get sucked back in. The anxiety and cravings would become so powerful.

Since I quit the last time I will say it was really really difficult to pass the 2 week and 4 week marks due to the stress and cravings. I will say now that significant time has passed that my anxiety and stress levels have never been this low it just takes time for your mind to heal. If your having hard times stay on here and find a medical professional to help you if possible.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome!

depression and anxiety are common for those of us with addiction issues.

The very good news is that with commitment to sobriety, time and effort - those depression and anxiety issues fade or resolve completely and we open ourselves into a far richer, more abundant and joyful life that we ever dreamed possible....

You can do this.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
welcome!

depression and anxiety are common for those of us with addiction issues.

The very good news is that with commitment to sobriety, time and effort - those depression and anxiety issues fade or resolve completely and we open ourselves into a far richer, more abundant and joyful life that we ever dreamed possible....

You can do this.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Feeling much better physically on day 3. Saturday morning here and typically I would be planning a drunken weekend right now, especially after not drinking since Wednesday. Sad how once you recover from a bender, you feel so good you want to pour poison down your throat again. But not this time. I will just stay in this weekend, and work on myself. There's a lot to work on!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to see you back with us, DreamBig. Three days is great. It sounds like you're finally ready to do this. We know you can.