Notices

Day 2 and struggling.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and struggling.

Hi all,

I am on day 2. And not because I tried. My mind has been wandering in the wrong direction all morning and idk what to do to help. I had a dream about drugs last night and a friend I don't even think does anything like that, and the drugs were ones I didn't even do... Very strange and unsettling I hate these dreams.. Could have been worse I guess. I never get to use what I have in my dreams.. That used to make me so mad.. Weirdo.....Have been reading my Just For Today emails and a little on here to try and help re focus on something positive. Feeling really down. What do 'normal' people do with their lives? I've always hated sitting home doing nothing. Thank you all again for your support. Sorry to be a downer and rambling on. Hope everyone has a great, happy day!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's tough in the beginning. I create a daily to do list and keep my mind accupy with things to do. You will soon learn how great sobriety is. You get time back and you also learn more about yourself.

Do you have any hobbies that you left of before drinking?

This is a good time to get your life back.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what 'normal' people do with their days....

but as a sober person, who no longer drinks or loads my head up with drugs.... here are some things I do with my day;

I go to the gym

I train in martial arts

I write - in journals, poems, on the Internet (like here at SR), letters to or in support of friends, emails to my Lady or to people I've not talked to in a long time. Sometimes I write ideas. Sometimes gratitude. Sometimes I just ramble.

I go for hikes with my family

I take the dog for a walk

I go to the coffee shop for a nice coffee and pie, and to talk with the folks there

I straighten up a room that has needed attention

I make a little progress on my finances

I meditate

I go for a bike ride

I go fishing or hunting or kayaking or skateboarding or surfing or skiing or snowshoeing or bowling

I go to an open-mic night at a non-drinking venue

I go to a play put on by local youth theater with my daughters

I wrestle with my daughters

We write or draw or paint together

I write or draw or paint on my own

I look up a new recipe and make it

I make vegetable juices and try different combinations

I read

I help a neighbor or a friend with a chore they need a hand with

I comfort a friend going through loss

I go to an AA meeting

I go volunteer at the hospital on the Detox unit for a morning AA meeting there

I pet the dog

I watch a movie

I pick some netflix show and watch it with my lady

I hang out and talk with my lady

Oh... right... I do my job!! I even sometimes go a little 'above and beyond' at my job.

Make a list of things I've always wanted to try but never got around to...

From time to time.... pick one of these and try them.

Oh heck the list goes on, and on, and on and onnnnnnn!!!

There are infinite possibilities.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sorrysoul View Post
Hi all,

I am on day 2. And not because I tried. My mind has been wandering in the wrong direction all morning and idk what to do to help. I had a dream about drugs last night and a friend I don't even think does anything like that, and the drugs were ones I didn't even do... Very strange and unsettling I hate these dreams.. Could have been worse I guess. I never get to use what I have in my dreams.. That used to make me so mad.. Weirdo.....Have been reading my Just For Today emails and a little on here to try and help re focus on something positive. Feeling really down. What do 'normal' people do with their lives? I've always hated sitting home doing nothing. Thank you all again for your support. Sorry to be a downer and rambling on. Hope everyone has a great, happy day!
talk then genius-give us a clue and maybe some of us can relate to you and hepl. . . . .. .not deriding you-tablets ? booze ? we don't know.

whatever it is-I wish you the best of luck with it.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I had really weird dreams for weeks so that part is normal but definitely unsettling. I've been in a slump myself wondering what "normal people" do so I appreciate your list FreeOwl!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joey8262 View Post
talk then genius-give us a clue and maybe some of us can relate to you and hepl. . . . .. .not deriding you-tablets ? booze ? we don't know.

whatever it is-I wish you the best of luck with it.
What?! My addiction is oc/H if that's what you're asking. Not sure it matters really. Addiction is addiction is addiction.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Zelda, I understand how you feel.
And thank you free owl, the beginning of your post made me laugh haha. Lots of great ideas. Hard to do things with no money, no car, stuck in a room-long story but all contributed to my drug use for sure. But playing with my daughter is free
Ghost-not sure about the to do list, thinking about it now, it would probably be pretty empty lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know-I'm an alocoholic that's just been told by Mr Google that according to the NHS website-I've been self neglecting for the last 10 years . . .. . . .I thought it was just me !!!

looking deeper into it, I am a self harmer !!!! funny really-I see it as normal.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 2 SorrySoul
Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First of all....I've yet to come across a decent description for what is "normal". Ask ten different people and get ten different answers...Ask ten different Dr. that specialize in psychology/psychiatry/addiction and get ten different answers.

Many people I meet think I am normal and well balanced with a good head on my shoulders....BOY HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR THEM!! I am just as ABnormal as anyone else with issues and hang ups and conflicting feelings and weaknesses, and the list goes on and on and on...

Like FreeOwl a list of what one can do with their time can be infinite. I never "bored" and quite frankly find I don't have a enough time to do everything that I love or have a passion about. I don't mind staying home and "doing nothing"....because in reality I am always doing 'something' even if it to just have some solitude and meditate and pray.

I think it is quite 'normal' to have bizarre dreams whether one is sober, newly sober, or not. I also believe that dreams allow our BRAIN to explore in places we conciously don't 'normally' want to go or can't go to in 'real' life....I am sure we've also all had those dreams from which we woke up and were relieved it was 'only a dream'. But I've also had dreams that I wanted to go on and was disappointed when I woke up and it was 'only a dream'.....
Old 11-24-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober or drunk, I have never been normal. I have ADHD and have never been able to keep a routine, hobbies, or jobs very long. Drinking was really the only 'activity' that I enjoyed.

After 10 years of alcoholism, I pretty much lost most of my poessessions somewhere along the way. Golf clubs, rollerblades, bike, skis....all gone somewhere.

I cant the things most people do for long because of my ADHD. Im not currently medicated.