Notices

drinking dreams

Old 11-24-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking dreams

I'm doing well I think, in another few days I'll be eight months sober, brilliant for me as I struggled so hard to manage my first week. I NEVER want to repeat that first week.
BUT the last few nights I've been drinking in my dreams, at an event or just drinking in the house.............. maybe others have had this? In some of the dreams I've caught myself and I wake up (relieved of course).
What I'm slightly worried about is something I've read around SR about a relapse coming a while before you take that first drink......... ? I've got a stressful wedding do approaching and I fully intend to be there and come home sober, maybe my dreams are just stress related.
I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
Many thanks x
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ive had these, but im only 5 weeks down, i think its normal & the good part is u felt relieved when u woke, so i wouldn't worry about relapsing as u know deep down u dont want to drink. Do u think ur going to be tempted at the wedding??
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on almost 8 months!!

Don't sweat the drinking dreams, they happen. It's very normal. I had them a lot the first year.

As for the upcoming wedding / concerns..... plan ahead. Give yourself time now to start working on your counter. Go in with a clear idea of what you're going to drink instead of booze. Have a plan for how you'll bail and how you'll get home if the temptation gets too great. Have one or two 'allies' if you can, who know that you're not drinking and can help be your refuge.

Relapse only happens if we let it.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Drinking dreams will fade Congrats on your upcoming 8 month milestone
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 2+years sober and I had a drinking dream last night. In the dream, I drank 2 beers with my brother, whom I rarely see. I remember being SO disappointed with myself. What a relief it was to wake up, sober and guilt-free.

Don't sweat the dreams. I know I am not going to.....
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it's completely normal IMO. im back on 1 week and am having them nightly. It's such a relief to wake up and not feel guilty.
This is my third try, and finally last. Try #1 lasted 15 months, Try#2 lasted 1 month.
If i remember correctly in my first try the vivid dreams although plentiful in the first month tend to taper off. At 8 months it's pretty much a one off. I guess it has to do with your subconsious stress about the wedding.
Thats awesome to have 8 months.. I found what really worked for me was to simply avoid bars/weddings etc... If you "can" duck out before the party begins then that would be my best advice. If you are part of the reception then you must have a club soda in hand at all times!!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
Ive had these, but im only 5 weeks down, i think its normal & the good part is u felt relieved when u woke, so i wouldn't worry about relapsing as u know deep down u dont want to drink. Do u think ur going to be tempted at the wedding??
I'm not too worried about being tempted exactly, though I intend to be on my guard with that, more that I'll be expected to drink a toast ect.. What I've done on other occasions is just put the glass to my lips, then either put the glass away from me or hand to my partner. He's the groom's dad though and will be pretty busy at this "do". I doubt anybody will be looking at me to see if I drink, I'm not looking forward to the whole thing actually, so maybe it's that.
I'm really grateful for the reassurance about the dreams, and that others have had them, they are not necessarily a warning of relapse.
thank you
xx
Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get drinking dreams a lot. My hypothesis on this is once you shut down your AV during your cognitive hours of the day, it tries to sneak in on you at night. Just stay strong and keep reminding yourself how proud you should be of those eight months!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They are completely normal. And I know they can be unsettling when you're not used to them. When I cut out eating all sugar and processed carbs I had dreams of eating big ole pieces of chocolate cake (I guess that would be my CV or Cake Voice). Ever dream of an Ex? Its just the brain doing it weird shlit.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
congrats on almost 8 months!!

Don't sweat the drinking dreams, they happen. It's very normal. I had them a lot the first year.

As for the upcoming wedding / concerns..... plan ahead. Give yourself time now to start working on your counter. Go in with a clear idea of what you're going to drink instead of booze. Have a plan for how you'll bail and how you'll get home if the temptation gets too great. Have one or two 'allies' if you can, who know that you're not drinking and can help be your refuge.

Relapse only happens if we let it.

I'm staying in the hotel where the wedding is, so I plan to escape to the room occasionally. I won't have support at the event, but friends have agreed to be my text buddies.
I don't really want to be there, but I'm going to support my partner. The relationship is an unhappy one, but for now I'm stuck (long story). This will also be the first time I've met the ex wife....
The whole thing is loaded, but relapse is not on the cards, it can't be and I won't let it.

thank you for your support
xx
Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
They are completely normal. And I know they can be unsettling when you're not used to them. When I cut out eating all sugar and processed carbs I had dreams of eating big ole pieces of chocolate cake (I guess that would be my CV or Cake Voice). Ever dream of an Ex? Its just the brain doing it weird shlit.
HAHA, perfect way to view them! LOL
thank you
xx
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
I get drinking dreams a lot. My hypothesis on this is once you shut down your AV during your cognitive hours of the day, it tries to sneak in on you at night. Just stay strong and keep reminding yourself how proud you should be of those eight months!
thank you for your kindness and encouragement, you're right and I am proud.
xx
Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm just under a week into my sobriety (and off and on for the past month or two and I have these dreams a lot. Dreams about being drunk and posting something embarrassing online, or being drunk and making a humiliating phone call to my mother or someone else that I would NOT want to know I'd been drinking. Or just dreams about sitting and drinking like I was doing. It's never a happy dream like I miss it though.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
it's completely normal IMO. im back on 1 week and am having them nightly. It's such a relief to wake up and not feel guilty.
This is my third try, and finally last. Try #1 lasted 15 months, Try#2 lasted 1 month.
If i remember correctly in my first try the vivid dreams although plentiful in the first month tend to taper off. At 8 months it's pretty much a one off. I guess it has to do with your subconsious stress about the wedding.
Thats awesome to have 8 months.. I found what really worked for me was to simply avoid bars/weddings etc... If you "can" duck out before the party begins then that would be my best advice. If you are part of the reception then you must have a club soda in hand at all times!!
Thank you, and lots of luck to you JoeCree. You've got some serious experience and learning to go on this (last) time. I wish you well xx
Old 11-24-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
Thank you, and lots of luck to you JoeCree. You've got some serious experience and learning to go on this (last) time. I wish you well xx
np and ty. yes my first try i took it very seriously. Was pretty much on SR daily, i think once i got to about 8-12 months I was truly happy and proud. In hindsight i let my guard down around the 15 month mark and thought i was "cured".. Lol. the second try i just wasnt serious enough and hence why i lasted only a month.
My frame of mind is perfect again to go all the way - this time, my new plan is to never "think" im cured.
Im not an AA guy, SR is the perfect help for me and is my safety net. Especially with 4G network now there really is no reason to relapse as help/advice is at my finger tips 24/7.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've just woken after dreaming about a night out with the lads drinking etc and the wife asked what's up - checked emails and this post listed on the update - glad it was and makes sense. Beating myself up about last night also as I had a mass sugar craving which I gave into - not overweight by any stretch at only 74kgs but fitness is also something I strive for (was overweight for many years but not since 2008) but I do try to avoid sweets / chocolate / processed foods / simple carbs etc and eat an extremely healthy diet the majority of time - once I do slip tho I go into overdrive (feast or famine) another major obsession of mine - my life seems full of them and exactly the same with the drink and drugs hence why I'm here and seeking help to sort these issues out once and for all.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
I've just woken after dreaming about a night out with the lads drinking etc and the wife asked what's up - checked emails and this post listed on the update - glad it was and makes sense. Beating myself up about last night also as I had a mass sugar craving which I gave into - not overweight by any stretch at only 74kgs but fitness is also something I strive for (was overweight for many years but not since 2008) but I do try to avoid sweets / chocolate / processed foods / simple carbs etc and eat an extremely healthy diet the majority of time - once I do slip tho I go into overdrive (feast or famine) another major obsession of mine - my life seems full of them and exactly the same with the drink and drugs hence why I'm here and seeking help to sort these issues out once and for all.
Right there with you. ALL or nothing! Addictive personality, and it drives me nuts.