Notices

I want to ask my GP for a 6 month prescription antabuse.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used antibuse a few times over the years. Never for very long. For me it is a good way to get a few months under my belt but after that its up to me to make the long term choices. I have gone off antibuse and then drank after it was out of my system....a planner I am I would need to have someone else administer it to me for it to be an effective abstinence strategy...but that would make me crazy and probably angry. So the net result is the buck stops with me. I have a choice whether or not to take that first drink. It isn't always easy, but it is that simple.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you don't mean haunting me personally Bill....

:

My mod remarks upthread were meant, gently, for everyone - you clearly spoke from first person experience - no worries

D
Thanks Dee. I certainly would not single you out to haunt. But conversely, if there's haunting to be done, I assume that you would feel badly if you were left out. When I haunt no one's left out. It's "upthread, gently for everyone." On this site we get and keep well together and we all haunt together. Enjoy!

Bill
Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Each and every single comment helped me do the right thing today, and made me rethink and realize I can't beat this on my own! Thank you all and continued sobriety, health and happiness!
Old 11-18-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am glad to read you feel so positive, that is wonderful! Did you talk to your doctor? How did the visit go?
Don't be afraid to reach out to him or her again for continued support if you feel you need it. There are other medications that can help you if you continue to find yourself suffering. If you can do it without medication, that is fantastic. But if you feel you need to go back and reconsider, don't feel it a failure.
Now that medication is off the table, what is your plan to stay sober. nonsensical had a fabulous post a while back about this. To paraphrase it said something like "the bad news is you are going to wake up tomorrow still an alcoholic, probably craving alcohol, what is your plan to deal with that?"
Get a solid plan in place for how you will deal with cravings, sticky situations, events where there is alcohol available to you, etc, etc. Think of everything. You need to be prepared.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ive had experience with antabuse and know other who have also .
I dont mean to be negative or plant ideas .
I agree with sogladnow in that you are able to plan to stop them at anytime then drink after a few days at least thats what I done and a close friend of mine done . I agree with the general advice upthread that you need backup support along with the medication and there is plenty advice on the site on what support is available . I just want to repeat the above , don't touch alcohol with these , please dont .
Your GP will keep you right .

Good luck .
Old 11-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

It has worked for me. I liked that while taking it drinking just was not an option. Helped me a lot!!! I also see a counselor and have recently got involved with a new church that I just love. So I'm off the antabuse now doing well. I think it's worth a try. Just be careful, you WILL NOT be able to drink on it... guaranteed sick in one way or another. Also you need to be off of it for at least a week or more to even think about drinking again. Don't quote me on that. Ask your doctor of course.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My personal experience is .... In a previous attempt to get sober I took a similar medication to Antabuse, which is available in France on prescription. But it made me feel ill and if I really wanted a drink (every day!)I just stopped the med. It did not help in any ways with cravings, and it made me feel dizzy.

I have been in a rehab programme for a little more than a week now and have been prescribed Baclofene. I feel the difference already in terms of reduced cravings for alcohol. And unlike antabuse I can still drink if I decide to. So I far prefer it because it means I have a support medication that helps with no side effects for me and I can and will take everyday without getting into the 'shall or shall I not take it " dilemma that I had wit antabuse.' The only choice I have to make is the one of not drinking . With antabuse I was kind of.. shall I take it? Oh but I hate it... go on take it... and the AV in my head was more confused than ever!! Good luck.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Force View Post
Each and every single comment helped me do the right thing today, and made me rethink and realize I can't beat this on my own! Thank you all and continued sobriety, health and happiness!

An important suggestion I was given early on - don't not drink by yourself........

Together, WE stay sober!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
totfit

I took it a few years back after going back out after a couple of years of sobriety. No matter what I did, I just could not get any sobriety traction again. It was extremely helpful for me. While taking it, I was able to immediataly get over the "drink option" and it allowed me to focus on myself and living. I had few if any side effects other than a slight bit of tiredness initially and "garlic breath" or so I was told. I think if one is really motivated, but having a difficult time gaining "traction", it can be an excellent tool for short or longer term depending. That was just my experience with it. It was a great asset/tool during a period of my life.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Antibuse is saving my life

New to forum but just wanted to give my experience. I started drinking 6 years ago and it was ruining my life. Car wrecks, dwi, marriage and family. I went to AA and even to a very pricey rehab and drank the 2nd day out. Finally googled if there was any medication and found a addiction doctor in Dallas. He prescribed antibuse and naltrexone. The very first day I had relief! Just knowing I couldn't drink or I might die did the trick and the naltrexone literally took away the craving by the next morning. I don't know if I'm just lucky but this stuff works for me. I did want to stop and tried on my own but I just couldn't do it. Why no one, rehab, my family doctor, and counsellors never told me about this combo I will never understand. I finally feel like I am getting my life back.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Atexasma, my son is on Antabuse. I did not know you could combine the two drugs. That's a great idea if one reduces cravings and the other stops you. Seems like a great combo!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR atexasma

D