Notices

15 Days Abstinence From Alcohol – What I Learned

Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 Days Abstinence From Alcohol – What I Learned

Today marks 15 days from not drinking and this is what I learned. Even though I’m early in my recovery, I have gained a lot of benefits in such a short time. To start, I have no hangovers on the weekends, im not losing things like keys and wallet and I been able to save up money in this short time.

Drinking was an escape for me; it let me forget about my problems only to have to face them and I would drink again to forget. Thursday was my start to relieve the stress work causes me. If I was down I had to drink and if I was happy that was a celebration for a drink and that caused a never ending cycle. I would make any excuse just to go on a binge and to wake up the next morning with regrets. As I look back, I wasted a lot of years with friends whose main purpose was to reach intoxicated levels and just crack jokes and waste time. I’ve come to a realization that one day I will die and leave this earth. My accomplishment has been limited but now it’s time for a change. Is this who I want to be remembered?

Abstinence is teaching me discipline. I’m also learning how my mental attitude reflects on the outside world, how I can’t fix an effect with an effect so I have to dig down to the root and change the cause. Having goals and a plan and to work with a sense of urgency to get something accomplish has been key for me. I posted before that “a goal without a deadline is just a dream.” I read a few post in here were people are waiting for their birthday or a holiday to pass in order to work on their recovery. That day will never come; trust me I was one of them. We have to start now and work with what we have at the moment. If I kept that mentality, I would had to wait for thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years to pass so I could defeat the temptations. Now I embrace sobriety and change as long as it’s going to benefit me today and tomorrow. I also learned to focus on “NOW” and to not live in the past or the future as it’s all an illusion.
I still have some doubts and get depressed but not as bad as before. People have complimented on how better and calmer I look and my anxiety has calmed down too. I’ve been spending a lot of time in solitary and the only social life I have is home, work and the gym (Gym does not count as I don’t talk to anybody when lifting LOL). I still visit my old friends but don’t last more than 1 hour or 2 a week as I don’t find it appealing no more to sit, drink and waste time.

It’s been an emotional roller coaster, a lot of confusion but at the end, I think it going to be worth it. My plan consists of:

Taking daily inventory of self
Gym
Reading and self-education
Supporting others
Keeping a to-do list

This is what has helped me in the past two weeks . I have faith that we could all get through this, it really depends on how bad we want it.

Peace!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GhostFace I'm so glad you are back and I'm psyched you have 15 days! ((hugs))
Old 11-13-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ghostface! What a wonderful update. I'm glad we've got some "riders" goin' after this sobriety thing. It's so motivating! Also that looks like a good plan you came up with.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
Today marks 15 days from not drinking and this is what I learned. Even though I’m early in my recovery, I have gained a lot of benefits in such a short time. To start, I have no hangovers on the weekends, im not losing things like keys and wallet and I been able to save up money in this short time.

Drinking was an escape for me; it let me forget about my problems only to have to face them and I would drink again to forget. Thursday was my start to relieve the stress work causes me. If I was down I had to drink and if I was happy that was a celebration for a drink and that caused a never ending cycle. I would make any excuse just to go on a binge and to wake up the next morning with regrets. As I look back, I wasted a lot of years with friends whose main purpose was to reach intoxicated levels and just crack jokes and waste time. I’ve come to a realization that one day I will die and leave this earth. My accomplishment has been limited but now it’s time for a change. Is this who I want to be remembered?

Abstinence is teaching me discipline. I’m also learning how my mental attitude reflects on the outside world, how I can’t fix an effect with an effect so I have to dig down to the root and change the cause. Having goals and a plan and to work with a sense of urgency to get something accomplish has been key for me. I posted before that “a goal without a deadline is just a dream.” I read a few post in here were people are waiting for their birthday or a holiday to pass in order to work on their recovery. That day will never come; trust me I was one of them. We have to start now and work with what we have at the moment. If I kept that mentality, I would had to wait for thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years to pass so I could defeat the temptations. Now I embrace sobriety and change as long as it’s going to benefit me today and tomorrow. I also learned to focus on “NOW” and to not live in the past or the future as it’s all an illusion.
I still have some doubts and get depressed but not as bad as before. People have complimented on how better and calmer I look and my anxiety has calmed down too. I’ve been spending a lot of time in solitary and the only social life I have is home, work and the gym (Gym does not count as I don’t talk to anybody when lifting LOL). I still visit my old friends but don’t last more than 1 hour or 2 a week as I don’t find it appealing no more to sit, drink and waste time.

It’s been an emotional roller coaster, a lot of confusion but at the end, I think it going to be worth it. My plan consists of:

Taking daily inventory of self
Gym
Reading and self-education
Supporting others
Keeping a to-do list

This is what has helped me in the past two weeks . I have faith that we could all get through this, it really depends on how bad we want it.

Peace!
This is the best post I've ever read from you
Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, GhostFace! Thanks for writing your thoughts. Our plans are very similar.

I always wrote to-do lists at work to keep up with things, but it wasn't until I got sober that I saw the value of having to-do lists for home as well, so all that shapeless "free time" didn't go to waste (or lead to becoming wasted).

Best wishes!