Notices

New job, day five, sweats...

Old 10-28-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New job, day five, sweats...

I feel fine, generally...

By "fine" I mean exhausted... Couldn't sleep because of "first day of school nerves". Thought my anxiety would be through the roof... It wasn't terrible, so looking on the bright side!

Question... I'm a binge drinker... Usually a litre or so of wine at a time, sometimes beer, sometimes just once a week. Sometimes up to three times... I had night sweats last night. Is it possible that I'm still withdrawing or have some other kind of physiological stuff going on? I frequently stop for a few days at a time... But I just don't know if these sweats can be considered "normal" with my level on consumption?

Thanks!
RTS
Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Is your goal abstinence ?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You are not sick or whar ever. You are Normal. You are fine. Just stop drinking and it all goes away.

Your anxiety gets better, you health improves, people will like better.

It is because when I am clean and sober, I give off a healthy vibe.

Confidence goes up. Life just gets better.

Drink and the opposite happens.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ruby,

If you are worried, please go see someone just to alleviate your nerves, but having hung around here a while, the symptoms are across the board and sweats is one of them for many.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 5 was still pretty rough for me, it took a few weeks for things to adjust!!

Hang in there!! It will get better!!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your new job is going well. If you have health concerns, please do talk to your dr.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the night sweats for a bit, definitely over a week. Best to you!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had night sweats for a couple of weeks. They slowly became less severe. Congrats on the new job.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I used to think I alway was just a sweaty guy, then I quit drinking and I realized I was just a sweaty drunk. Now I sweat normally, you will be fine in a few days.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is just day 2 for me, but I was having hot flashes in Walmart this morning (I'm not menopausal, pregnant, or any other thing that might explain hot flashes). I was ripping off sweaters, fanning myself, snapping at my kid. It was awful, and I looked around me, and everyone else was remaining bundled. I think it was just me. I had that flash of panic (because now that I'm not drinking, the anxiety is AWFUL) thinking maybe this was a sign of some underlying illness. However, rationally, I realize it is most likely just another sign that my body is adjusting. I like you am a binge drinker, so I wasn't expecting such a noticeable physical reaction once I quit-- but it's been there. Stomach upset, mood swings, anxiety, racing thoughts, crying lags, depression, short temper, hot flashes, night sweats, nightmares, insomnia....And that's just been since Sunday night. Like others have said, if you're still experiencing it in a week or two, go ask your doctor and get your hormones or your thyroid checked. But I suspect it's another sign that your body chemistry is trying to figure out this whole sober thing.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I too was a binge drinker not an all the time drinker, once I quit the physical changes were very apparent. Took me a few more months to notice the changes but the most noticeable was my anxiety is almost gone.

No more worry, sweating all the time, tachycardia, unhappiness, the list is very long.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Night sweats every once in a while are normal even for non-drinkers though, right?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juppe View Post
Night sweats every once in a while are normal even for non-drinkers though, right?
Depends on what you're calling night sweats. When I wear pj tops and bottoms and forget to turn on my ceiling fan, I may wake up sweaty, but after I gave birth to my son, THOSE were night sweats. You wake up so soaked, it's like someone dumped a bucket of water on you. Your sheets and pillow are wet. Some people don't know if they've sweated or wet themselves with night sweats. That's different than waking up too hot.

It can be a sign of a nightmare, a panic attack, anxiety, a hormonal imbalance, a thyroid problem, a reaction to a medication, or any other number of things if it's happening in a non-drinker. If it happens more than once in a month or two, it's something that should be explored with the doctor.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ditto on binge drinking, welcome Ruby. This is a good place to help all of us stay away from the evil drink. Nice to meet you hope we can help you.
Edward, alcoholic
Old 10-29-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubytwoshoes View Post
I feel fine, generally...

By "fine" I mean exhausted... Couldn't sleep because of "first day of school nerves". Thought my anxiety would be through the roof... It wasn't terrible, so looking on the bright side!

Question... I'm a binge drinker... Usually a litre or so of wine at a time, sometimes beer, sometimes just once a week. Sometimes up to three times... I had night sweats last night. Is it possible that I'm still withdrawing or have some other kind of physiological stuff going on? I frequently stop for a few days at a time... But I just don't know if these sweats can be considered "normal" with my level on consumption?

Thanks!
RTS
Dear Ruby-

I might be kinda wierd, but I believe sweat can be a good thing!

It's our body's natural way of getting rid of stuff...whether it's getting clean and sober- getting substances out of our body or whether it's having an awesome work-out and cleaning out all your pores and what-not...I know I'm a gal, but I like to sweat. When I exercise I go for sweat.

Try not to worry too much about it or how long it lasts...It should abate when your body has gotten rid of the substance...and that time period varies...

Good work and keep it UP!

Blessed Be...