Notices

Why cant we remember

Old 10-24-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why cant we remember

Hello all... I truly don't need to Quit. I have quit for the last 15 years drinking. What I need is not to start again!!!! So a real simple question is this. I am sure many of you have quit, said this is it, then the time comes along and you pick up that drink and even as you are drinking you say this is it I will quit tomorrow. Problem is tomorrow never comes. You wake up not feeling well maybe you are not as productive at work as you could be. Or maybe your energy to do things is gone because of the previous night. So why can't we remember the Past that should make it so easy to not have the desire to drink?
Old 10-24-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I called it willing denial.
I willingly accepted the premise that this time would be different for years

what change things for me was acceptance - I accepted I was an alcoholic and I accepted that my relationship with alcohol was toxic and always would be.

I also accepted I need to make changes in my life and put some effort into those changes.

SR was instrumental in my finding acceptance.

It's much harder to believe the lie when you can look back at your old posts or read other peoples - not to mention making use of the great support here 24/7

I hope you'll become a regular poster this time round.

I know we can help you too Enough1122 - I'm really glad you made it back

D
D
Old 10-24-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Enough1122
I offer some encouragement. I too drank and for 15 years and quit thousands of times. I have 6 mo now. The difference this time is that truly I let it go. I made a decision in the deepest part of my being that it will no longer be a part of my life. The option is no longer there. Instead of reaching for a drink learn something new, help a friend........... Each time we don't reach for a drink we grow a little and it adds up and builds on itself.

You deserve to be happy. Don't think of it as loosing somthing. We gain evrthing.

Wish you well.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exaclty for me ^^^^^^^ exactly..wish you well
Old 10-24-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even with remembering past events I still drank because it wasn't my rational thinking wanting the alcohol and it's pleasant feelings. It was my addictive voice who cared nothing for me and drinking consequences....only a fix.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I took alcohol off the menu no matter what I swore I won't drink I really agree with Dee's advice