Notices

allen carr has half worked.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bedtime. Posting to subscribe to thread and read tomorrow. Have a good night!!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I thought Allan Carrs book had some fantastic points. I read the book already sober for reinforcement. If you read the entire book its give a fantastic agruement to make the decision to not drink again.
The problem is that he makes it seem like after you read the book you may need to attend his workshop. It feels like a bit of an upsell.
He has great points on alcoholic schizophrenia but that cycle is hard to break. He makes it sound like you are magically cured after you read the book. You will rationally not want to drink again. The problem in my experience is that its not that easy. I am also going to reread the book.

I agree that its worth checking out other books. Its good to have as many tools as possible in your arsenal for sobriety warfare.
Time makes things easier. Once you get through day 1, 10, 30 its much easier to disarm urges. Thats my 2 cents i wish you well

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
He makes it sound like you are magically cured after you read the book. You will rationally not want to drink again. The problem in my experience is that its not that easy.
Yeah he got me 90-95% of the way there but I wouldn't say completely cured. Maybe completely cured is never going to be possible.

Still helped a ton though.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think it's a tough thing he's trying to do. I hear all the arguments for why alcohol is great, from people trying to convince me to drink again (still find it bizarre people do that, but what can you do). How it helps them relax, how parties would be boring without it, how doctors say it's good for you, how they drink because they love the taste so much. And now when I hear people say that, I know he's right. None of those are true. But society has been telling us those are true all of our lives. It really is mass brainwashing. I would have agreed with every single one of those statements before quitting and reading that book. It really would be a miracle cure if it worked 100% on everybody.

It did for me, but keep in mind, I already had stopped. I'd already made a decision that alcohol and I didn't get on very well. That I had an unhealthy relationship even though other people didn't see it. It's a lot easier to convince someone who wants to be convinced. If I gave it to my wife to read, would she suddenly decide to stop drinking that one glass of wine 4-5 times a week? I doubt it. I think it probably works best for people who really want to stop, or have stopped, and are just looking for extra ammunition to fight their AV with. It certainly won't do anyone any harm reading it, that's for sure.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I read it as I was tapering off alcohol. It turned on a light for me. I put it in with a bunch of books to give my daughter (who is an alcoholic) in a few days and have found I've sort of regretted giving it away although I haven't looked at it since I read it. I hope it helps her and maybe her boyfriend as well. Maybe I'll do a quick skim through before taking it to her. Has anyone read it more than once or re- read parts after quitting? I can always get another copy off amazon I guess if I feel I really need it.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I listened to that book and many others on the topic like three times over my first nine months sober, usually while working out or driving around. I figured the reinforcement couldn't hurt, since I don't go to meetings. It helps keep me in the right frame of mind and to nip unwanted thinking in the bud. I found the instructions about how to think and deal with stopping helpful in the early days, but yet, it's probably not going to work if you are not already motivated to stop.