Notices

15 Hours

Old 10-16-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 15 Hours

Hello.

It has been 15 hours since my last drink and all I want is to get and stay sober. I've tried many times - even graduated from outpatient rehab - but I always pick up again.

I was out of control last night (not unusual) and might have destroyed my marriage once and for all. This might be for the best, as my husband is a partier and enables my drinking.

Anyway, I am going to give it another shot and am going to use all the tools I can find, including this forum every day, to start recovering.

Any advice you have is most welcome. My self-loathing is through the roof right now, so I hope to hear something from some of you.

Thank you.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck I am behind you with 12 hours
Old 10-16-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Turningleaf. Welcome. I'm 12 day sober and use the site every day, reading lots and using the chat room. There's lots of activity and a lot of very supportive people that are going though or have gone through the same as us. Let's do this !
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TurningLeaf View Post

It has been 15 hours since my last drink

Anyway, I am going to give it another shot and am going to use all the tools I can find
Sounds to be a good decision made in regards for one to stay sober.
Good luck.
If one is alcoholic -- for sure sobriety is the best life one can live.

MM
Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome turningleaf. There are a lot of good people and support here. I'm not sure how much you've been drinking but going cold turkey can be dangerous. It's recommended that you check in with your dr.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome Turningleaf! SR is a good place to be. I am 90 days this Sunday. This forum has saved my life! Read here as much as you want, post here as much as you want in any thread you'd like, ask questions, whatever you need to do. There are lots of great people here that have wisdom and experience far more than my young sobriety self.
Glad you are here..wish you peace and happiness!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cold Turkey

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Welcome turningleaf. There are a lot of good people and support here. I'm not sure how much you've been drinking but going cold turkey can be dangerous. It's recommended that you check in with your dr.
I agree about the danger and am nervous about it, JD. I am a day on-day off drinker, consuming about 8 beers on each of my "on" days. I went five days without drinking at the beginning of the month and had only mild withdrawal. I will be with people all weekend, so someone will always have an eye on me. If anything starts to feel way out of whack, I will absolutely go to urgent care.

Thank you.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome TurningLeaf

I don't have a lot of advice but can say it does help to read a lot and post here.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and glad your hear. You can do this!! You say you will be around people all weekend? Not drinkers i hope.. in my experience i suggest coming up with a plan right away for your recovery. This site is great but whatsc your next move. From me AA was a lifesaver.. kept my mind focused and not thinking about the drink . I am almost 90 days sober also. I was going to several meetings a day in the bbeginning.. they say 90 meetings 90 days is a good rule of thumb.. good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Turningleaf!!

Stay close to SR, there's loads of support here, just keep posting when you need to!!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Gonzo

Originally Posted by gonzo51511 View Post
Hello and glad your hear. You can do this!! You say you will be around people all weekend? Not drinkers i hope.. in my experience i suggest coming up with a plan right away for your recovery. This site is great but whatsc your next move. From me AA was a lifesaver.. kept my mind focused and not thinking about the drink . I am almost 90 days sober also. I was going to several meetings a day in the bbeginning.. they say 90 meetings 90 days is a good rule of thumb.. good luck and keep us posted
Actually, I am getting ready to go to an AA meeting right now! I am not the biggest fan of meetings, but I have to use all the tools and AA is one of them.

Thanks for asking, and CONGRATULATIONS on your 90 days!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you Turningleaf that you're going to a meeting. I don't often attend meetings but I've met several women who are awesome support for me in daily life.

Hang in there! Welcome to SR
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ah, yes, the self-loathing that alcoholism puts on us! I'm glad that you have decided to stop drinking. As you move through some more sober days, the self-loathing will lessen and you will begin to like yourself again. That is one of the gifts of recovery.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats TurningLeaf nice to meet you
Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Every journey starts with one step. You can do it! Lots to learn here keep reading.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome TurningLeaf

There has to be a moment when we stop digging in the hole we're in and start to climb back up the sun instead

Lives reputations and relationships can be mended - but the first and most important task for us is to not drink again.

You'll find a lot of support here

Why not check out out Class of October support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-15.html
Old 10-17-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

2:31 in Ireland 24 for me please..Also going to doctors on Monday if I can get an appointment and get some meds for my anxiety and ocd no more masking it with alcohol...
Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

At the meetings, ask if anyone knows how to guide another through the steps for relief (quickly).
Old 10-17-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that being on the brink of destroying your marriage has brought you hear, but it should be a bright neon sign that drinking is not your friend, correct? Hopefully you can salvage your marriage and get on the sober train. My experience is that people here will support you unconditionally.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

12:09pm and in for another 24...