Notices

Repetitive Thoughts

Old 10-15-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Repetitive Thoughts

I experience these kind of daily negative repetitive thoughts. Sort of a daily mantra about why I am not happy in my life, work, etc.

And I have read that drinking can create repetitive thoughts or rigid thinking.

My question is has anyone else experienced this? Could these thoughts be an outcome of my drinking because of changes in brain chemistry or something else like loss of confidence because of harmful behavior?

I haven't had a drink in about three months and I still have these thoughts, but I try not to encourage them. I can't see how listening to them will lead to anything to productive. But, they come up daily more or less.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Intrusive obsessive thoughts are really common in early sobriety.

Meditation and prayer helped me a lot with this. You can Google Cognitive Behavior Therapy and read up on mindfulness, too.

Also, try reading through this excellent Sticky Post in the Anxiety forums here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-worrying.html

There are some other good sticky posts in that section, if that one doesn't seem to apply to you. It's pretty specific to worrying, but any circular thinking is anxiety producing. Be patient, your brain is hyper-sensitive in early sobriety. It keeps getting better.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, certainly, I've had them and I've noticed it's a trend with alcoholics. I think it is to do with the neurochemistry, the neural pathways and such.

One thing I've read is that we create new neural pathways, it's called plasticity. So, there is definitely hope. Abstinence and in some cases, true moderation (which is very rare among alcohol dependents, and by mentioning this in no way am I advocating it here at SR) is necessary for the brain to heal, and to improve.

Also, I think in some cases, mine in particular, OCD and obsessions seem to be a character trait of many of us as well. So who is to say which comes first? The tendency toward the trait or the addiction causing it? Just one of those "chicken or egg" things.

One thing you can do is to sort of stop that thought by switching gears and doing something, to break the thought, or stop thought. You can distract yourself with something else.

And to give some hope ... it does get better over time. I am at 2.5 years sober and it's so much better now. Less OCD than ever before, though the tendency is still there. But now, I have more control over the thoughts.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Intrusive obsessive thoughts are really common in early sobriety.

Meditation and prayer helped me a lot with this. You can Google Cognitive Behavior Therapy and read up on mindfulness, too.

Also, try reading through this excellent Sticky Post in the Anxiety forums here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-worrying.html

There are some other good sticky posts in that section, if that one doesn't seem to apply to you. It's pretty specific to worrying, but any circular thinking is anxiety producing. Be patient, your brain is hyper-sensitive in early sobriety. It keeps getting better.
Thanks. I hadn't thought of them as circular but that is exactly what they are. If you try to reason with them then you just keep going round and round.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup. My personal favorite sticky post in the Anxiety forum addresses a bit of what Soberpotamus said - tools to stop or distract, and also why we get triggered by certain thoughts. This is a really good thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anagement.html
Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, what a great post, thanks for sharing that Bimini! I'm going to read back over this slowly. I just scanned it and, wow, is it great stuff
Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know, I've read that Emotional Memory one several times. Each time I'm a little better. It is a process, working toward quick effective recognition.

Sometimes I still get triggered and have to sit and dissect, "What happened," that caused the reaction. It's never as simple as XX happened, so I freaked out. It's always tied to a previous belief or event. We aren't born to be freakout queens, it just happens after life creates memories and emotions are brought to the surface unexpectedly.

Recognizing it is really helpful to me to be able to control my level of anxiety. Sometimes the answer doesn't come until the next day after I've completely calmed down and relaxed again - but just knowing how to identify when a file is pulled is so helpful.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Negative thought patterns are something that held me down for a long time. Seeing a therapist and practicing mindfulness really helped me take control of my thoughts and, subsequently, my life.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm at about 6 months and still get them but nothing like before. Before it would be complete obsession. It helps me to try and think of all the things I'm thankful for when those crazy thoughts try to take hold.

I get them 90 percent less it seems now. Stick with the sobriety. It gets better.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 3 months have you tried mindfulness & meditation
Old 10-15-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInCLE View Post
I experience these kind of daily negative repetitive thoughts. Sort of a daily mantra about why I am not happy in my life, work, etc.

And I have read that drinking can create repetitive thoughts or rigid thinking.

My question is has anyone else experienced this? Could these thoughts be an outcome of my drinking because of changes in brain chemistry or something else like loss of confidence because of harmful behavior?

I haven't had a drink in about three months and I still have these thoughts, but I try not to encourage them. I can't see how listening to them will lead to anything to productive. But, they come up daily more or less.
Yes! Mine did not last quite as long as yours. But I most definately had rigid thinking/repetitive thoughts. Thought I was going nuts for awhile. Hang in there.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Congrats on 3 months have you tried mindfulness & meditation
Not yet. Recommend any reads on meditation? I am hilariously reluctant to try meditation.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep - resentments. Us alcoholics are pretty good at growing those buggers.

I reckon I could have got myself some 'Best In Show' awards for some that I nurtured over the years (almost from nothing). I'd only need to get hold of a tiny seed of an idea of something or someone that peeved me off and I'd work hard, resending and resending it - and adding just a nice little detail here, and another there, so they became increasingly real and vivid and painful each time I played them. I had some corkers. One that went right back to the playground about the comment some girl made (when we were both 7). They were already there, but when I stopped drinking they kind of went out of control.

Thankfully my AA Step work helped me put the old ones to bed, and I'm now very vigilant about others popping up. Some days splatting new ones as they pop up is like one of those Whack-a-Mole games in a games arcade or funfair... but it's no bother, as long as I get them early. It's like weeding I suppose. It was just that before I wasn't realising that those thoughts were weeds to be hauled up and out before they started taking over. I was nurturing and feeding them because I thought they'd help me not get hurt again.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've never hear of alcohol causing repetitive thoughts - but I don't know an alcoholic who doesn't have them. Put another way, I'd wager that the condition (constant, negative, repetitive thoughts) tends to lead to the booze more-so than the other way around.

The bad news is this - stopping drinking won't likely cure the condition. The good news is this - work on the source (the alcoholism) and the conditions clear up.......and when the conditions clear up......so does the drinking problem.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInCLE View Post
Not yet. Recommend any reads on meditation? I am hilariously reluctant to try meditation.
Meditation is a really effective means of stopping those repetitive thoughts.

Try it

Check out this link, really simple. Like anything, you have to actually do it to reap the rewards. There are many online sources of guided meditation, as well. Search YouTube for visuals and auditory guides if you have trouble centering without it. There are many apps, as well.

https://zmm.mro.org/teachings/meditation-instructions/
Old 10-16-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have had similar thought patterns. I don't think alcohol caused them. I think alcohol and drugs were an effort to escape them.

Now in sobriety I am able to learn and work with new ways to respond to them. It takes active effort. It takes change. It takes more than just 'not drinking'
Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have also had these circular thoughts that lead to anxiety, and some days when everything seems extremely hazy (brain foggy) they are worse. That tells me it is linked to my overall mood for that particular day, if I'm feeling better than they aren,t as bad as when I'm feeling worse.

What really helps me to regain my positive mood is running, or any other form of cardio that gets my heart pumping. Weight lifting is good too but not nearly as good as cardio, at least in my case. I find it amazing how quickly this can relieve me of my anxiety, usually as soon as my run is over. Of course in early recovery it is only temporary, it might only help for the day, but it helps to knock a day down and gain the long term sobriety we need to conquer our anxieties. Plus it helps to keep us in shape.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

some basic but useful ideas, SoberInCLE?

Challenging negative thinking | ReachOut.com Australia
Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central