Notices

Fear of Success?

Old 10-17-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but there is something called a self-fulfilling prophecy. Look into it. Its just like you are describing. You see yourself as a certain person and you continue to do those things to fulfill that vision, whether it be positive or negative.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree with FarToGo, the contributions have been really helpful for me.

So I've thought a bit more about it and I definitely think that my fear of success is a combination of what some of you said. It is a fear that I'll never have another drink. That this time, I actually will succeed and never drink again. That means I have to deal with reality. That means I no longer will be "sick." That means that if I fail at something, it's because I actually failed and I can't say "well If I wasn't drinking I know I would have done X Y or Z and succeeded" I will no longer have the "luxury" of being able to think "well I'm a drunk, so what do you expect? I'm doing pretty well for being a drunk don't you think? I think so!" In many ways I'm afraid to lose that "handicap" but at the same time I'm excited because nobody knows I have the handicap in my professional life, and very few in my personal life... so I''m playing life with a handicap that nobody knows about, what is the point in having it? At least if we are all going to lose at the game of life at the end....then I might as well play it without the handicap....
Old 10-18-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sounds great Syn3rgistic. Looking forward to sharing your sober journey on SR, we are all learning from each other and let's let ourselves be excited about it.
Go strong and be well
xx