Notices

Liver cleanse and vitimans.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver cleanse and vitimans.

Does anyone have any opinions on recovery and doing a liver cleanse- I've heard of a grapefruit and olive oil clense. And also any vitiman regime that aids in the healing of the liver and other organs we have been hard on.
Or is just clean living, a healthy diet with plenty of water the best plan?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The Germans have been using milk thistle to cure liver problems for years. It's an antioxidant as well as a liver supplement. Gnc sells it.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Your liver's job is actually to cleanse itself and the rest of your body. I'd consult with a doctor before starting any vitamin or supplement regimes, they can do more harm than good. And just like drugs for "cravings"....there are usually no magic pills that can speed up any natural process without some side effects.

Clean living with a healthy diet and water is always a good plan in my book.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kids, just my opinion but I spent years trying to take supplements to help me be able to continue drinking... and that's after I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease.

Bottom line is just don't drink and everything else will fall into place. I was too afraid to go to the doctor and get blood work for years. After I had quit drinking for around 9 months I finally went and got a thorough exam. My blood work came back clean; no more high cholesterol, my liver enzymes were normal, by blood pressure was normal; after having been on high blood pressure meds for years; and everything else was good.

Nothing will work as well as just not drinking.

Stay strong.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Kids, just my opinion but I spent years trying to take supplements to help me be able to continue drinking... and that's after I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease.

Bottom line is just don't drink and everything else will fall into place. I was too afraid to go to the doctor and get blood work for years. After I had quit drinking for around 9 months I finally went and got a thorough exam. My blood work came back clean; no more high cholesterol, my liver enzymes were normal, by blood pressure was normal; after having been on high blood pressure meds for years; and everything else was good.

Nothing will work as well as just not drinking.

Stay strong.
I think what I am doing is just running 90 mph with this sobriety thing right now and looking for all things/ options I can be exploring along those lines. I feel great and I want to keep feeding it. When I examine it, it probably speaks to how alcohol became a problem. It is like I have to be over the top with something since alcohol is removed.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Your liver's job is actually to cleanse itself and the rest of your body. I'd consult with a doctor before starting any vitamin or supplement regimes, they can do more harm than good. And just like drugs for "cravings"....there are usually no magic pills that can speed up any natural process without some side effects.

This - just because it's all natural does not mean it is good for you
Old 10-14-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Slow and steady wins the race
Old 10-14-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

This
Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been using milk thistle for some time now and liver tests were good. Also vitamin B12's and B1 (thiamine.) I check all of these with my Dr.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

you always read the various tips on this and the one common one that pops up is that milk thistle one but also water with lemon. The whole water with lemon thing seems to be a popular one they throw out there sounds fairly harmless too. no idea if it does anything.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A multivitamin is recommended for most everyone if they are a recovering alcoholic or not. That just makes sure your body is getting what it needs. But eating right (yes eat them fruits and veggies and dont overdo it on bad fats and sodium) and drinking 64-80 oz a day in water. What is your body weight in pounds? Divide that number by two and that is the amount of water in oz you should be drinking every day.

I dont recommend going full out on cleanses as it causes problems to even the most healthiest of people sometimes. Stop drinking, work out, get your heart rate up, and drink water.

Water with lemon is supposed to help the liver along. But go to a DR before you start adding in a while bunch of supplements.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Did you know that very overweight people's livers can be in as bad of shape as some alcoholics'? There are other things beside alcohol that mess the liver up, so to give it time to repair itself, which its inclined to do, avoid all of that, as well as alcohol.

I don't think it's controversial to say: Keep in a healthy weight range and don't eat the classic kinds of foods that make people overweight, i.e. sucrose, refined carbs, high fructose corn syrup, processed foods, fast food. And don't drink.

I also recommend our friend Google, there's a lot out there on this subject, and I've been doing some interesting reading myself lately. For example, just for fun, some nutritionists say that foods high in antioxidants can help the liver repair itself, which makes good sense. I like that because it's an excuse to spend the money for berries, which are expensive here :p

Do talk to your doctor, but it can't hurt to have some ideas and plans of your own to talk to him/her about.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice. Aside from being an alcoholic and having not Been exercising. I'm otherwise in decent shape. 5'10" 170, no health issues decent eating habits.
I'll keep the multivitamin with b6 and b12, consider a milk thistle and stick with plenty of water, veggies. Fruit, Etc.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Do you have any liver damage?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Do you have any liver damage?
No. (Unless something has occurred in the last 9 months since my last physical). Doctor didn't even say anything about my liver count. I just noticed in my bloodwork printout that three of my liver enzymes counts were on the high side or slightly above the range. My cholesterol was too high (220). He gave me a cholesterol pill (lowest dose) and I didn't take them because I was drinking everyday and knew these pills are hard in my liver. I
Am going back in December which will be two months sober and I hope my numbers are good since I won't have alcohol running through my veins screwing with everything. I'm just looking to do anything and everything I can to embrace a healthy lifestyle.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Your doctor didn't say anything about your elevated liver enzymes? Does he know you were drinking then?
Old 10-14-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Your doctor didn't say anything about your elevated liver enzymes? Does he know you were drinking then?
No. I didn't bring it up and he didn't ask other than the paperwork I filled out (new doctor) I would have answered the question About drinking: "occasionally". They did the bloodwork. Nurse called and told me he wanted to start me on the lowest dose of Lipitor for my cholesterol. They mailed me the bloodwork detail. The liver numbers were listed and I remember them being on the high normal side and a coulple slightly higher than the normal range.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on recovery and doing a liver cleanse- I've heard of a grapefruit and olive oil clense. And also any vitiman regime that aids in the healing of the liver and other organs we have been hard on.
Or is just clean living, a healthy diet with plenty of water the best plan?
I used milk thistle, b12 and vit d
Old 10-14-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mostly quackery IMO. As long as you're not drinking, eating right, drinking plenty of water and exercising your liver should take care of itself.

But if you suspect physical problems related to your liver, please see your doctor ASAP. Better safe than sorry.