Notices

Do u miss it?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

No, because I drank to a point where there's no longer anything to miss. I mean, really, what's to miss? Being a miserable, lonely, depressed, dirty, stumbling drunken idiot who's so ashamed of himself that he's not willing to face either, himself, life or the outside world?

Or maybe the detoxes? Shaking like crazy wondering if today is the day I get to experience a seizure, dry heaving, unable to keep water down let alone food, the mental agony and feeling as if I'm going insane, etc.

Yeah, I don't really think I miss that stuff too much.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I miss it for about 1 second once a week. It's just long enough for my rational mind to jump in and remind me of how much fun it will be spiraling back into alcohol induced depression and hopelessness.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I miss the taste and the relaxation one or two in. But one or two inevitably leads to eight or nine more. So I do and I don't. My boyfriend bought a bottle of cherry blossom sake and the first thing that people out of my mouth was a wistful "I forgot about sake!"

It sits, unopened in his pantry, where it may remain, forever unopened because he doesn't drink and now that I don't drink he forgot he didn't have anyone to buy it for.

My life is so much more on track so I don't miss the constant disaster and robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'm enjoying the stability - overall I miss it less than I don't - and when I do think about it, it's inly for a moment - like thinking of something that happened a while back that you want to revisit but you know you can't go back in history.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Plus I slept the sleep of the dead pretty much when my body started recovering - I guess I had gotten to where I was using the alcohol to give me the energy to not collapse so I could continue to drink the alcohol. That alcoholic logic right there! I don't miss that...being so exhausted I felt like I was dragging a meatsack around through a perpetual fog trying to figure out which direction I was trying to go.

I have so much more energy now even with less sleep. I'll take it.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I will never drink again, but to say I never miss it would be lying. One confounding thing is that my use was so entwined with my lifestyle, sometimes I think I just miss the adventure of youth. But there was often a drink in my hand... I also feel at a loss sometimes when really angry. Like the Ricky Bobby character said in that movie "I don't know what to do with my hands." LOL.
These thoughts are very rare, thankfully. I really believe that anything drinking had to offer me was gone well before I quit.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

No not really, I don't miss the drama or who I was.
I like me better sober.

I can still drink liquids, chat, laugh and dance
Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
I will never drink again, but to say I never miss it would be lying. One confounding thing is that my use was so entwined with my lifestyle, sometimes I think I just miss the adventure of youth. But there was often a drink in my hand... I also feel at a loss sometimes when really angry. Like the Ricky Bobby character said in that movie "I don't know what to do with my hands." LOL.
These thoughts are very rare, thankfully. I really believe that anything drinking had to offer me was gone well before I quit.
Hi Leviathan, what you said about missing the adventure of youth really rings true to me. Now that i am trying to get stay sober i do feel like i will be the boring middle aged lady who sits at home with her cats watching tv. The funny thing is i like doing that but i guess going out every now and then meant that i wasnt doing it every night. Maybe part of the reason i kept drinking to excesses was trying to stay in that "young and carefree and crazy" part of our lives. I think i am ready to embrace the next chapter and hopefully find some activities that make me feel young at heart and carefree without having to get wasted.