Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

34 days sober and back from weekend away with drinking friends...

Notices

34 days sober and back from weekend away with drinking friends...

Old 10-12-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes I have just promised in the September thread to post here before I pick up. I feel like I owe it to SR as its been such a huge help to me. Also, I think I know that 10 minutes on here will probably stop me. So I just need to not buy wine. Yes, correction, I promise to post here before I BUY alcohol. Once it's in the house, if I really am powerless over it, then it will be in me before I'm on here. Gosh it's scary stuff isn't it....
Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That took a lot of will power not to drink around everyone who was, especially when newly sober, good job!! I would have to sincerely disagree with your friend though.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel fuzzy. Even as i am embracing my sobriety i have a tiny voice in my mind trying to plan the next time i drink. It really is so bizarre. It has helped reading posts which remind us that people who don't have a problem with alcohol can take it or leave it, none of the incessant planning that we do and that just seems so freeing. And yes posting here in general is incredible. I never thought i would ever post on this site and now i am trying to post as much as i can. It really is like therapy for those of us who cant perhaps go to meetings or see a therapist.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe too much exposure, but just hang in there, this too will pass.

What I remind myself is that one drink won't make me want it less, but more, so much more, so what is the point. And one drink isn't the point either is it -- what is the point in one drink - if we liked one drink we wouldn't be posting here would we??

Sleepy does something cool, which is to make a lego house with a block for each day sober and she has to take it down if she drinks. Cool idea and I think the visual really helps to see what we have gained and what we would lose.

You got this, take it.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You should be extremely proud of yourself, and you're an inspiration ! Although, your story really brought tears to my eyes thinking of the struggle for control of your soul with your drinking buddy and young son. I would hate to be in that situation if I was in a weakened state. If this "friend" persists in encouraging you to drink you can guess what you need to do to that relationship. Take care and keep us updated!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I won't be seeing the friend again till Xmas.

I played it forward this morning if I had a bottle on Saturday night when my husband is out and I am at home with kids.

Now I NEVER drink and drive but just suppose I had a bottle and I was desperate for more and insanely decided to leave my kids asleep, drive 4 miles to the nearest shop and buy a bottle... I could be arrested, lose my licence, lose my job and lose my children.

Now I don't seriously think I would do that but I also know alcohol has made me think, feel and do things that I wouldn't do sober.

Feeling stronger.