Notices

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Learning about light therapy and the importance of getting outside each day for a while. I'll augment my vitamin d and fatty acids, maybe SAMe and 5htp supplements... And talk with my therapist about other ideas.
All great ideas. Plus EXERCISE! Find the one(s) you enjoy.

More people are affected by it than they realize, some severely. I feel a sudden drop in energy around this time too, but try to stay on top of it with daily walks, vitamins, and exercise.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've heard that taking Vitamin D can help. Have you had your levels checked? Might want to look into that.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Owl, embrace the darkness. I get SADS, too. I learned while backpacking that ignoring the light and going on with my goings puts a stop to it. Want to walk? Walk in the dark. Want to golf? Golf in the dark. Doing normal stuff in the dark makes the blues fade to black. LOL at myself.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not quite sure how the unseen hand of the interwebs works but after being on SR for a while, I went on to FB and this post from the New York Times was in my feed. I'll copy and paste verbatim as it seems particularly relevant to our conversation. For me, alcoholism and depression have always had a "chicken/egg" component.

(This is from the Wellness section, where readers pose questions.)

Q

Is alcoholism a form of depression or does it cause depression in those genetically susceptible? Can you be an alcoholic and not suffer from depression?

A

Alcoholism is not a form of depression, but both are quite common, and there is plenty of overlap between the two.

Depression makes people more vulnerable to alcoholism and vice versa, said Dr. Shelly Greenfield, a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and director of McLean Hospital’s Alcohol and Drug Abuse Clinical and Health Services Research Program.

About a third of depressed people also have a problem with alcohol, she said, adding that the depression usually comes first. Genetics makes some people more vulnerable to each — and perhaps the combination, Dr. Greenfield said, “but it’s not the whole story.”

Social environment, particularly in childhood, also plays a key role. People who are the victims of physical or sexual abuse, for example, are at higher risk for both alcoholism and depression later in life, she said.

Depressed people who drink will most likely see their depression worsen, because alcohol is a depressant, tamping down the nervous system, said Dr. Kathleen Brady, a distinguished university professor at the Medical University of South Carolina. Abstinence will be harder for alcoholics who are depressed, because of the hopelessness that comes with depression.

Getting help promptly may make recovery from alcoholism easier, Dr. Greenfield said. Needing help to quit drinking or to resolve depression is not a sign of weakness or personal failure, she noted. In families with a history of either depression or alcoholism, it is important to be vigilant about drinking, particularly in adolescence.

Treatment may involve a combination of medications, talk therapy and social support, said Dr. Larissa Mooney, an associate clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and director of the U.C.L.A. Addiction Medicine Clinic. In the past, alcoholism might have been treated before addressing depression, but now, she said, the thinking is that both should be treated at the same time.

But people with both depression and alcoholism should know that they definitely can get better, Dr. Mooney said.

(c) 9/25/15 NY Times
Old 10-10-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Don't have much to ad other than to let you know I'm thinking about you buddy. Stay strong.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It was a lovely fall day today. Sun came out a bit and I went for a two hour hike with my Lady and my daughters. Went shirtless most of the hike to get mAx sunlight and got some vitamin D, B12 and krill oil (for omega 3).

The exercise, togetherness, sunshine, supplements and nature all definitely feel like a boost. I'm gonna focus on getting outdoor exercise time in nature during peak sunlight hours, keep the vitamins going and see how that influences things.

I may also invest in a light, and spend 30 minutes a morning in meditation and yoga with the light. But first I want to see my doc about it.

Anyway - thanks all for your ideas and input.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

My sister wants me to get one I am going to get a lamp for winter see what happens
Old 10-10-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have felt seasonally depressed many times. But this will be my first winter without drinking since I was 15.

I did invest in a light last year and I recommend it. Mine is the Day-Light Classic (Day-Light). It is big and bright. I have it over my bed and flip it on when I wake up. I don't know if it works, but it is enjoyable. You can lay there with your eyes closed and feel the brightness. If you do purchase one, these lights should NOT emit UV light.

Also, I see a therapist once a week. I would feel better knowing I could share these feelings with them.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hang in there FreeOwl.

It's positive that you recognise what it is and therefore can take steps to deal with it!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just brought out the SAD lamp last week. We are almost at the shortest daylight days of the year now. It is starting to hit me, though not as badly as when I was drinking. How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Definitely not as bad for me being sober. Like a huge difference. I'm finding the treatments I tried before actually work now. I'm prescribed Wellbutrin for general depression anyway. It's doing its job. I find I don't need it all to often too. I took 6 wks off it before starting up recently for SAD.

Keeping up in the vitamins helps. I've been very physical lately too. Just finished moving. Started a new job where I run around like a chicken without a head for 8-10hrs a day.

Daily aerobic exercise is the #1 solution for depression. The best remedy of all is taking a fast walk outside for 30min. I haven't been doing that. I'll use the excuse of no time. Even though it's a lame one.

I wish I had fully understood how much of a depressant alcohol is a long time ago. Maybe sometime earlier in my drunken days I may have realized I was intensely depressed because I was drinking! I would have quit earlier if I knew then what I know now.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

I might invest in one ?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have been bothered with so called SAD for years . wasted money on a lamp as it never made any difference (it was a decent one too ).
5- htp is expensive and made me more anxious .

Currently take a good multi vit , and a high dose vit D .

Im researching on the condition called leaky gut which I am finding out causes a myriad of unpleasant symptoms and can be healed by diet change .

Still feel pretty crappy most days like i'm just going through the motions .

I work nights so sometimes never see daylight but I cant get out of that one .

I am a summer person who loves the garden and really take it ill out when the dark cold weather hits yet alot of people love the cosy nights in .
The main thing is i.m not drinking .
Old 12-11-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I deal with SAD from October to March.

I take daily Vitamin D as recommended by my doctor, because my levels were low. I try to take fish oil, too, when I remember to. When I used to use my light box and exercise, those things helped me. I'm just undisciplined right now. The sluggishness of SAD keeps me from being able to be disciplined. So don't be lazy like me, check your Vitamin D levels, talk to your doctor about fish oil, use a light box, and exercise. :-)
Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oops I didn't mean to imply you were being lazy. I was poking fun at myself for being lazy. Sorry about that. I know what I should be doing but don't do it and I don't know why.

I hope you feel better soon and find a solution to your SAD.

I forgot to note that one time when my Vitamin D was very low, my doctor gave me prescription 10,000 units. I felt *amazing*. But when I went to supplements, I didn't feel as good. She said she's heard that before but legally she couldn't give me another script. I wonder if others had that experience. My Vitamin D levels are normal now, but I still have depression and SAD.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread, FreeOwl, and to everyone else who posted. I struggled with this for a long time growing up in the northern US (Wisconsin). It actually even played a big role in choosing to go to college in the Southwest. Now that I'm back north things are tough again.

I've used a lamp with mixed results. What I'm trying to do now is focus on physical warmth and comfort - lots of tea, heavy socks, long showers or baths. It feels kinda excessive but maybe that's good in this case.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sitting here by my SAD light having a little self time before an 11 mile trail run with friends. I've been using the light daily and hitting myself with 5htp, omegas, krill oil, vitamin d, b-12, magnesium and chaga.

Things have improved since starting this routine and keeping my exercise up. I also continue to see my counselor every other week. I still have an edge of melancholy frequently and lack motivation and energy as compared to the summer months, but it's definitely gotten better.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I still have an edge of melancholy frequently and lack motivation and energy as compared to the summer months, but it's definitely gotten better.
This describes me to a tee, Free Owl. I still have bad days, where I have zero motivation and want to lay in bed all day, but they are less frequent now. I now sit under the light with my laptop and read SR each day before working out. The combination of the light box, exercise, vitamins, eating more produce and less junk and not drinking mass quantities of a natural depressant has made this the best fall I have experienced in the last 25 years.
I have never gotten to visit my ancestral home countries (England, Ireland,Scotland and Wales) but I imagine them to be dark and depressing this time of season. My sympathies for those living even further north in the US than I am dealing with even more darkness and cold. Definitely not my favorite time of year, but I am trying to find the quiet beauty each day brings and no longer obsess on when I can start drinking myself to oblivion. I am focused now on trying to make the most of each day, not just trying to slog through each day until Spring.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm just depressed in general, especially in winter. The tanning bed helps but I don't like to do that all the time.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

well... an update.

For some while now, the SAD light in the morning and the regimen of supplements has helped. The biggest help seems to have been 5htp. When I ran out of it recently, I went about a week without it and the symptoms had returned heavily.

Today I'm also having a glum dip - and yesterday I didn't have my usual dose of 5htp, so I'm convinced that's a big part of what is working for me.

Went to the doctor last week finally, I'd had to hold off because insurance wouldn't pay for another checkup / phsyical / blood work until a year had passed since my last one. Told the doc about what I'm experiencing and he did a basic workup and ordered bloods. I'll head to the lab later this week and then have a follow up appointment. We'll see then how my thyroid, liver, testosterone and other such levels are looking. Doc suggested maybe I consider a low dose SSRI in the winter. I'm definitely willing to consider it, though I'd prefer to see if I can manage via supplements and exercise and a SAD light. Seems like my issues are relatively manageable at least at this time, and SSRIs come with some side effects and complications that could be equally problematic.

Work is weighing on me today.... and I think maybe the fact that I had a really big, draining day of exercise yesterday out in the cold has left me a little under the energy weather with the blahs today.

I guess the long and the short of it is that SAD is a real thing, and that some days are better than others.

BUT.... I'm sober, grateful, and have faith.