Notices

This is a first for me.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When I first quit I was asked about triggers. I said, "breathing ." It takes awhile but every day gets better
Old 10-09-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I saw my Dr this afternoon. He is very supportive (not wanting me to go cold turkey and would prefer to hospitalise me but I can't). He has given me some meds, advice and I need to check in with him regularly.
I understand you have young children and family commitments. Do you have someone that can stay with you for a day or two....or three? At my worst, I had to have my 72 year old father sit with me for 2 days, and it really helped, and I am forever indebted to him. Sounds like you were wise enough to partner with your doctor to get through this. I believe you will get through this, and you will be much better off having broken free. When the freedom hits you, you'll know. It feels great.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Fabat!!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everybody for the welcome. Just to answer a few of your questions... I live in Southern Europe where structures such as AA are not particularly present, nor effective. Additionally even some of the Professional medical programmes teach "reasonable drinking" and not abstinence. I am not cut out to be a moderate drinker. So I have never signed up for a face to face programme.

I do have an amazing Dr and Psychiatrist who are ready to support me. But no I don't have any family around whatsoever.

As I write this I am actually feeling quite elated about embarking on this journey, especially after having read your posts. The cravings are not there at the moment although I do feel sick and dizzy and bizarrely I have a terrible itch all over my back and want to rip my skin off!!

My dog is keeping me company and so I am going to try and sleep. (With my annoying face mask... for my sleep apnea!)

Nite all.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hope you managed some sleep despite the itching and the face mask (my friend never got used to his - but did report an improvement in his breathing once he'd stopped drinking so heavily for a while - sadly that was a short lived drinking reprieve for him though )

Apologies if someone else has already mentioned these books, but as it sounds like you're a little isolated there with limited resources, I thought I'd recommend some reading for you that really helped (helps) me.

Sober Recovery (AA publication) and Monkey on my Shoulder were both really helpful to me. Plus, even if there are no local AA meetings for you to draw on, I believe that reading the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous would still be helpful.

It might also be worth contacting the AA European helpline Alcoholics Anonymous as there may be other people in your area also in your situation who they could put you in touch with, or that maybe have occasional meetings which might benefit you. (My own initial AA contact was done via e-mail to the UK helpline by e-mail, and the person who contacted me back was so, so helpful to me). I believe that there are some people who use online meetings and remote sponsors because they are located in far-out places, and while it might not be ideal, it's still worth pooling your resources from various places to see what you've got available.

Keep going - you're doing great
Old 10-10-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you for those recommendations Beccybean. Yes, my Dr said the breathing should improve with no drinking and hopefully the subsequent weight loss. I will look at those AA resources and books you recommended. I live in the South of France and attitudes to alcohol (ism) are not the same as in UK and USA. I have not really researched the AA route because, if I understand correctly, it has spiritual and religious principles.. and I am neither.

This morning I have not yet made it out of bed. Am going to start a Day 3 new thread/post! I am so delighted to have found this forum. Thank you again.