Notices

Starting again for the last time

Old 10-06-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again for the last time

Hi,

Back in May I decided I was sick & tired of being sick & tired and promised never to touch drink or drugs again. This lasted a couple of weeks, then I slipped back into the same destructive spirals with alcohol, weed & coke.
The last 4 months have flown by, a roller coaster of being high as a kite, in the gutter, lying to my wife, my family, my self, spending money I haven't got, driving to buy coke when drunk, smoking weed in the morning, missing days off work & generally speeding head on into a relationship breakdown / losing my driving licence / losing my business / financial ruin / worse.
Luckily, I still have my marriage, my business & no criminal record, but the sensible me inside my head is crying out to the addictive destructive me to stop now before it's too late.
So I'm back, with 100% commitment not to ever drink or take drugs again. I plan to go to Smart recovery meetings, & check in here every day, to get support & to support others.
I was going to create a new profile and start again here, due to the shame of failing last time, but this journey is about facing up to truths, and no more lies, so it's the same profile admitting I slipped.
NOTHING is going to get in the way of this wonderful new life of sobriety now, & I've never been more excited about the future as I am now!! Thanks for listening, speak soon X
Old 10-06-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back
I think SMART and posting here regularly are the beginnings of a solid plan.

Do you think you'll need to look at your lifestyle and ideas of fun too?

D
Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi snoop, do you have a plan for when the cravings hit or the old habits kick in? You're motivated, that's great, but some strategies for those moments in the future when it would be easy to pick up a drink will increase your chances of success.
When you first start you're disgusted with yourself and have a clear idea of why you don't want to drink, but also plan for the times when motivation isn't so strong.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi FeelingGreat,

Thanks for the reply,
Yes,I realise it can be easy to come steaming in here on day one in a blaze of glory about how great everything is going to be, but the more I read these forums the more I realise how important a long term plan is.
I plan to go to a weekly SMART group, & use this forum regularly. I have also been reading a lot about the psychology of addiction, and now whenever the thought of having a drink arises, instead of thinking only of the immediate pleasure that a drink brings, I need to think beyond, to the losing control, the going off to buy drugs, the hangover, the money, the shame - instead of just the first pleasure of the drink. I think this is CBT thinking.
Apart from that & having just signed up to 2 new evening classes I don't really have much more of a plan.
You must see so many day 1's / week 1's come & go so thanks for the advice I'll work on the plan
Old 10-06-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome back, snoop!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

A good positive outlook is very helpful in overcoming this addiction we have and bring it under control, I didn’t say cure it. Most who fail have a habit of forgetting how bad things were along with the pain and misery we endured. Recovery is for a lifetime and with an alcoholics ego, memory and fragility we need a lot of help people wise and attention to work and changes to fill the vacuum alcohol filled.

An old timer at a meeting I attend often says caution is the word as alcohol will grab us back in a heartbeat. After a lot of sober years I still go to 3-5 meetings because I know the difficulty it is to recover after a relapse and I’m grateful to say I haven’t had a desire to drink in a lot of years.

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Snoop
Welcome back. For me denial is really amazing. Even when I'm sober, feeling like I'm admitting everything, I'm usually not. I've been sober since June but I still see denial in my thinking all the time. Its such an elaborate construct for me.
You can do this!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey snoop you can do this. Make sure you do everything in your power to go to bed sober tonight. Repeat tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Snoopdoggypug!!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm excited for you too. Go for it 100% You can turn it all around :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back, snoop.

Congratulations on your decision to lead a sober life. SMART recovery meeting and posting and reading often sounds like a good beginning of a plan.

don't be afraid to add additional tools to your sobriety toolbox to help you deal with cravings, urges and triggering situations.

there are a couple of good links here; I'll find and post them in a moment.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These links are great for cravings and urges:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses day 2 here we go (isn't it nice getting up without a hangover)