Notices

Family event

Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
Well, I decided in going tomorrow. And I just gave up my sobriety. I'm going to go celebrate this birthday, I'll have done my duty, then it's adios amigos. I'll likely never see them again. The alternative is not going, and continuing to feel obligated.
It'd be helpful if you gave us a bit of a backstory. You have a duty to go and then you can cut them out of your life no worries, but if you don't go then you'll continue to feel obligated? How is there not a cut them out of your life today and never feel obligated option? Is someone dying that you need to see one last time? That's the only thing I can think of.

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
That may sound lame. But drinking is the only way I'll get through tonight. Then it will be over.
This is probably the worst audience to try and pull those kinds of rationalizations on. There simply is no situation and no person that makes it necessary for you to drink or makes you decide to drink. It is 100% your choice and you're not going to have a mental breakdown and wind up in the psych ward if you don't drink. This is what sober living is about; handling life without resorting to drinking.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you cut your losses, wake up sober tomorrow and stick with staying that way.

as you build up some 'sober muscles' you be able to do anything and go anywhere and stay sober.

For now if by going you give yourself 'permission' to drink, don't go.

Nothing should be more important than your well being, and your recovery.

D
Old 09-26-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Rio, as you are an adult, I respect your decision. I don't necessarily agree with it (in fact I don't agree with it) but I will respect it. Going forward I can only offer this. YOUR SOBRIETY is more important than anyone else or any one event. And if others do no like that or do not respect that....eff em. Its your life. You caved this time, and I get it. Just don't do it again. Don't even give them the opportunity to guilt you into anything. Just stay strong in your resolve. I've had to do it, its not nice, but it is necessary. I've said these exact words to my immediate family "I'm not going, so please respect my decision and don't bring it up again. I-am-not-going. You guys will be just fine without me."

The first time is hard, but it gets easier.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well Rio how did it go?