Notices

Litre of Vodka

Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lot of good advice here already so I'll just say welcome back. Sobriety is a better way of life. Hope you'll give it a chance.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Add me to the list of people who think a medical detox (if possible) is the safest way. that's a healthy amount of 80 proof liquor to be downing daily. Like SVA777 said, its a merry go round and you can get off, and when you do, life will be better.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thanks so much to everyone. BBQ My GP refused to help me with medication as I live a lone and apparently it can be dangerous, like a bottle of vodka a day isn't
Did your GP add anything to that statement Kaily as that seems a remarkably unhelpful comment just taken in isolation.

Obviously alcohol and medication is a dangerous combination, is that the danger that is being referred to here?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back Kaily!!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Did your GP add anything to that statement Kaily as that seems a remarkably unhelpful comment just taken in isolation.

Obviously alcohol and medication is a dangerous combination, is that the danger that is being referred to here?
Yes she suggested counselling but I feel I am beyond talking now...
Old 09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Kaily
How long is it since you spoke to the GP about medical detox? Why don't you try another GP or ask to be referred to the Community Addiction Team (you also may be able to self refer). CAT can provide additional support for home based detox.
Alcohol Concern (Dee's suggestion) can give you details of local services.
Please don't rule out medically supervised detox because of one unhelpful trip to a GP
Carly
Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hmm, I must say that my own GP wasn't very well informed either - I suppose they can't be experts in everything.

It might be an idea to join the Class of September 15 thread (or at least read it). Others going through the same thing

At the top of this thread Dee linked to the National Alcohol Help Line, maybe give them a call (it can't hurt)

One last thing, for me, once I take that first drink I carry on until blackout, I was drinking roughly the same as you (except my poison was scotch). This meant that tapering was not an option for me. I just say that FYI not as advice. I'm not going against what others have said in this thread just that it is not always possible to taper

Once again best wishes and do use whatever help you can
Old 09-21-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Kaily, keep checking in, it helps me. I am newly sober and if I can do it I know you can!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thanks so much to everyone. BBQ My GP refused to help me with medication as I live a lone and apparently it can be dangerous, like a bottle of vodka a day isn't
Kaily your GP is concerned about the medical dangers of sudden withdrawal. Go back to him and ask what other options are available for you, such as inpatient detox or supervised taper. The ball's in your court.