Notices

PAWS symptoms about head

Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS symptoms about head

Hey guys,

First post for me. I've read quite a bit about paws and appreciate the info. I'm approaching 2 months of sobriety and feel a lot of the issues others have faced. Brain fog, short term memory loss (mainly losing track of my phone, glasses, etc), anxiety, social withdraw, etc. Has anyone ever experienced bad migraines after the first couple of weeks along with a somewhat numb/fuzzy feeling in their head? The migraines still happen occasionally (not nearly as bad as before) but the numbness still exists. Other than that I've lost a lot of my appetite with weight/muscle mass loss. It seems like my mental clarity is very good except for what I mentioned about the numbness.. Can anybody share their experiences and a time reference after sobriety?
Old 09-20-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'd suggest you see your doctor about this. None of us here are medical people and it would be irresponsible to diagnose you over the internet. Best place to find out what's going on is your doctor's office. Tests can be done to see what your health is like.

Congrats on two months sober!
Old 09-20-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi splitshot and welcome

While headaches absent mindedness and a certain fogginess persisted for me for a while, I can't say I ever had any numbness.

If you're concerned, like least suggests, I think the very best thing to do is get yourself checked out by a medical professional.

D
Old 09-20-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Paws

I am 3 months sober and have been getting terrible headaches . I never use to get them even when hungover so it is very frustrating. I have been taking Tylenol which I never use to take for any kind of pain but the headaches are so bad that I have too. I am hoping this is due to PAWS and will go away soon. Hope you start to feel better soon
Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you considered seeing someone about the headaches skipper?

D
Old 09-20-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

forget appetite, you have to eat regular meals or small ones through the day to keep up your energy....eat healthy things

see your doctor and check your blood to make sure you don't have vitamin deficiencies
Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, splitshot. I'm at around the 4.5-month mark myself. I've definitely had my moments of brain fogginess but no numbness. I'll second or third the notion that maybe you should see a doctor.

Anyways, hope you'll stick around and become an active participant here. We need more folks who are past that first month or so.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

I agree about seeing a dr. Also be sure you're getting plenty of hydration -- I didn't really know how to drink during the day except alcohol, and so I was dehydrated a lot when I quit, which causes headaches.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone, it appears that Prozac was causing the numbness which I had started taking not to long ago. Doc told me to stop taking it for a while and it seems to be improving. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Looks like Doc will be trying me out on Lexapro. Has anyone ever used Lexapro before and if so what were some of the side effects you had?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by splitshot View Post
Everyone, it appears that Prozac was causing the numbness which I had started taking not to long ago. Doc told me to stop taking it for a while and it seems to be improving. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Looks like Doc will be trying me out on Lexapro. Has anyone ever used Lexapro before and if so what were some of the side effects you had?
Yes, a bit of nausea at first, numbed out. Didnt work for me, but I failed on many ssri, until I found a good psych with correct diagnosis, which ssri's dont help. But most people have great results with ssri or snris, may have to try a couple to find a good fit. This is my experience only of course that ssri were not the answer.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you figured out what was causing you to feel bad. Knowing is half the battle.

Different folks will have different reactions to the same medicine, tho. Do you have any concerns about what your Dr prescribed?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you got to the bottom of it Splitshot!!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling better

D