Notices

My organs hurt!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
Life may seem messed up with or without alcohol because alcohol is not the problem. You need to treat the underlying condition that makes you drink, alcoholism. Alcohol is a cure for alcoholism. It quiets the mind, reduces the fear, provides a sense if ease and comfort and keeps one in the present. Alcohol, however, leads to a whole new set of problems if you are an alcoholic using alcohol to treat alcoholism. Removing alcohol from an alcoholic's life results in the untreated alcoholism making one irritable, restless and discontented. Removing alcohol from a normal pwrson's life does not result in emotional changes. An alcoholic will not find true peace and happiness until the alcoholism is treated. One must first stop drinking before one can attempt to treat the alcoholism that causes one to drink. If an alcoholic does nothing more than just stop, the alcoholism will likely make that person pretty miserable.
I don't know. For me alcohol was absolutely the problem. Being "irritable, restless and discontented" was a result of drinking heavily. Since I've stopped drinking I no longer experience those feelings.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Did you get that high??

For me I needed to remember these times, the morning after when alcohol sold me the world but never lived up to expectations, and in fact made things worse, and made me feel awful.

Go at things again, but at Day 8 come back and read this thread, it'll be good inspiration to keep pushing through!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
Life may seem messed up with or without alcohol because alcohol is not the problem. You need to treat the underlying condition that makes you drink, alcoholism. Alcohol is a cure for alcoholism. It quiets the mind, reduces the fear, provides a sense if ease and comfort and keeps one in the present. Alcohol, however, leads to a whole new set of problems if you are an alcoholic using alcohol to treat alcoholism.

Removing alcohol from an alcoholic's life results in the untreated alcoholism making one irritable, restless and discontented. Removing alcohol from a normal pwrson's life does not result in emotional changes.

An alcoholic will not find true peace and happiness until the alcoholism is treated. One must first stop drinking before one can attempt to treat the alcoholism that causes one to drink. If an alcoholic does nothing more than just stop, the alcoholism will likely make that person pretty miserable.

So true like it or not. To counteract this condition requires work and personal change again like it or not.
When we stop drinking we have sort of a void that alcohol does not fill any longer and unless it’s filled we have all sorts of miserable periods and often think we were better off returning to drink.
Try to remember alcohol is powerful, cunning, baffling and progressive even if we don’t drink and will floor us in a heartbeat.

I’ve seen its effects on to many over a lot of years.

BE WELL
Old 09-20-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi scared, please don't take this as a reprimand but you said you needed that high because of the boredom. You didn't need it, you wanted it and therefore did it. I can completely relate. Boredom was the enemy. I drank when bored to make things interesting. Sometimes it worked, most of the time it didn't.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Maelstrom no more View Post
.As I went into my 50s and onwards alcohol beat me senseless every time I drank and at 58 I am defeated , too tired to battle with it any more , I surrender
You are not defeated, you've just started winning. I'm also 58 and if I keep drinking I can see I will always be overweight, I won't exercise much because it takes me most of the day to recover from the last night, and I put myself at high risk for liver damage, pancreatitis and diabetes. Not to mention greatly increased heart and stroke risks. That's insane.

If I can stay sober, I may have another 30 years or more. And I can think of lots of great things to do if I get in good shape and stay there.

Great job staying sober!