Notices

sign of the times

Old 09-19-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Dim,

This is a new beginning for you. Your life can be so amazing from now on. Do it, and don't look back. Have a solid plan and the right attitude when you get out, and the future is yours.

I'll be thinking of you
Old 09-19-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This can be the beginning of a new, wonderful life and you
can with sobriety and work on recovery rebuild the trust with your girlfriend and family.

My spouse was pretty upset with me when I quit, and now, as time has passed, he trusts my sobriety and my word that I won't drink again.

This is a solid foundation and it is so worth doing.
Hang in there and sleep will come, as will the ability to focus and concentrate your attention.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Dim,

You are in the right place. Try not to worry about the damage to your body etc right now (I know it's easier said than done). We cant give medical advice here but if you're on here posting coherently, that's a pretty good sign.

It gets better with time, and quite quickly. My last detox was coming off drinking for about 6-7 days straight too. Wake up, pass out etc etc. For me the mental fog lifted at around day 4. Those first few days are very tough and highly uncomfortable, but you have a lot of goodness to look forward to when you come out the otherside. You are still detoxing at the moment so try to just rest and look after yourself. Don't beat yourself up as what's done is done. I'm glad you have your family there for support. Try to store the memories of these first few days vividly (I wrote it all down), and refer to it when urges kick in.

We're all right behind you buddy.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dim

Thanks again for your replies. i'very just woken up on day 4 and feel pretty decent. A little anxiety but other than that a bit more positivity. i'my certainly not starting again and going through that hell that was the first few days. It's a new beginning. time to start my new life! I can't express my gratitude to everyone on here. I would have gone insane without you all. I know the journey has only just begun but i'm in this for the long haul.
much love
Dim
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dim View Post
Thanks again for all your supportive words and wisdom. I need some more advice if possible pls. i'm paranoid that I've potentially caused irreversible damage to my brain after drinking so much for 6 days straight? while I know this isn't the forum for medical advice, can anyone give me any motivation around whether or not this is the case? has anyone drank a similar amount in a binge of a similar length and can give some insight or hope around whether I can actually fully recover from this? i'm stocking up on all kinds of multivitamins, thiamin in particular as this is the one that gets depleted the most as I've heard but is this enough? as always, any advice is appreciated.
god bless
Dim
I'm nto a Dr and you should really see one if you're concerned Dim - it's the best way to go and a lot less hit and miss that us throwing vitamins at the problem.

I'd much rather speak to a Dr now than in ten years time, y'know?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good to hear Dim, you did the right thing by getting into professional care. I hope things continue to move forward for you. Take care of yourself.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dim

soooo.
I was doing so well. I hadn't had a drink in a week. felt good other than some side effects from so new antidepressant medication I've been on. so yesterday the oppurtunity for redundancy came up with my work. The anxiety got so intense and no matter how hard I fought it I ended up at the bottle shop buying a few singles of vodka and wine to numb myself from the pressure of all that was happening. I successfully managed to do this (i'm not proud btw) however when my girlfriend came over I was a person that I'm ashamed of, she didn't know I had been drinking and thought that it was just part of my personality (I don't know what's worse) and I was just an all round c&*t to her. I've decided against detox as I don't need to be monitored as I withdraw however it's become even more evident that alcohol still seems to be a solution when I get a high pressure trigger like this one. I feel ashamed as well as quite sick due to yesterday's binge, I've stopped drinking now and won't again for the immediate future but need some advice around how to prevent these triggers from getting the better of me next time a high pressure situation like this one comes up again like this in the future.
love Dim.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found out if my only tool is alcohol, that's what I'm gonna go for.

You need a plan Dim - a plan for better dealing with pressure, or dealing with it in a healthier way.

Do you have any ideas?

D
Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You need to figure out what you can do to stay busy, and video games isnt usually the answer. Finding a hobby that encourages physical activity is great. A hobby to keep your hands busy (building model planes etc), finding a hobby that keeps your mind busy (reading books on something you want to learn), and something that keeps your spirit busy.

Who knows that those things are for you, but I suggest getting something to fill your time. yes video games can be good, but man if I didnt sit down and play battlefield 4 until I couldnt see anymore because I got wasted.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dim... Dee nailed it.

You can get free of this thing but you need a plan, support and action.

Do the same things, get the same results.

It's time to change - starting Now
Old 09-26-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Dim

so I've still been drinking. 4 days later and I find myself here again. I've been drinking flatout again. I'm continuing to drink and i'my scared of the outcome after this benders over. I've almost lost everybody in my life and I still can't control it. Please give me some support, I'm in a terrible place right now terrified that everyone I know is going to abandon me. I've got nothing left except the drink which is the only thing that hasn't abandoned me yet. I'm hanging on by a thread and I'm terrified of the outcome. Please help me.
love dim
Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Dim,
I would definitely get into a proper detox center. You need to be medicated and watched for a couple of days. Then, after that you should come up with a recovery plan for long term sobriety....maybe start with intensive outpatient therapy. Best Wishes
Old 09-26-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You're right ...alcohol maybe hasn't abandoned you yet ... I recall having similar feelings when I drinking to numb the depression I felt as a result of feeling abandoned by people who really didn't abandon me, but were giving me tough love. Friend, alcohol is not your friend. This disease deceives people all the time into thinking it's the only friend they have left.

Reality is sometimes hard to face. But face it we must. I support you in stopping...now. ..it's not too late to STOP ...and keep addressing the depression. Alcohol will only make you further depressed and doesn't provide a lasting solution.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

(((( hug))))
Old 09-26-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dim

there's never ending support here, no worries about that.

What about pulling the plug on the insanity now and drinking some water , getting something to eat and recuperating today?

D
Old 09-27-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Dim

I need more than a quote and advice from people that have been through this. I'm still drunk and need people to tell me that it's gonna be on on the other side. my family and my partner habe abandoned me and I'm all alone. I need someone to be there. I just took 20 dollars from my mum's pure to buy alcohol and she doesn't know it yet.I'm so ashamed and I donthink know how I'm gonna deal with it
Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Dim

Please give advice because I feel so lost right now.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Dim

Ive been through exactly what your going through. Im only 8 days sober but after those first few days I am thinking so much clearer now.. you just have to make it past those days and youll have enough strength to decide if you want to go back to those hellish feelings and you wont. There is always support here no matter what so keep that in mind. You can win Dim, Day one is the beginning of controlling your life. Keep your head up. And keep posting if you need help.

Dru -
Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dim View Post
I need more than a quote and advice from people that have been through this. I'm still drunk and need people to tell me that it's gonna be on on the other side. my family and my partner habe abandoned me and I'm all alone. I need someone to be there. I just took 20 dollars from my mum's pure to buy alcohol and she doesn't know it yet.I'm so ashamed and I donthink know how I'm gonna deal with it
There's much more help available here than 'just quotes', Dim

Read this tomorrow.
This link is about creating an action plan for your recovery.

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Consider more support than SR - you can try AA which is everywhere, or other meeting based groups like SMART or LifeRing - there may be meetings in Melbourne.

AA Australia
Alcoholics Anonymous

SMART Australia
Welcome to SMART Recovery Australia

LifeRing Australia
LifeRing

You can see your Dr or a counsellor and ask them for help.

You can even consider outpatient or inpatient rehab.

I wouldn't put anything in the too hard basket, Dim.

Of course there's life 'on the other side' after drinking - most of us would not be here if that wasn't true...but getting sober and staying that way will take a little effort and commitment on your part.

Start thinking about it tomorrow Dim - it's never too soon.

D