Notices

Nobody knows

Old 09-14-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Hi there and welcome to the forums. You'll find a huge amount of support here.

I also struggled with the "my drinking isn't as bad as their drinking is, so maybe I shouldn't really be here" way of thinking. But for me the only question that matters is whether you're in control of your drinking or not. And in your case, from what you've written, the answer to that is clearly no.

You also mention you only drink till you get a buzz, but if you're like most of us here, the amount it takes to give you that buzz will keep going up and up. And at some point, as sure as night follows day, the buzz won't be enough. And adding the secret life on top of that is even more reason to stop. What happens if your wife asks you to drive to the shop at night to get something, or your son phones you unexpectedly, asking for a ride because his car broke down or whatever. Would your fear of revealing your secret mean you drive drunk instead? A friend of mine has done that. Drove home drunk instead of getting a taxi he could easily afford because he was more afraid of his wife finding out he got drunk, from wondering why the car wasn't there, than he was of possibly killing himself or someone else.

So I'd say absolutely, look around this forum, read up on the many different approaches people have used to get sober, but they all have one thing in common. Not taking that next drink. And now is as good a time to start as any!

I really wish you the best of luck with this.
I completely see your point and would call those very same points. Thank you. It is important, I do have an issue that I believe is incredibly important and worthy of the same attention of those who have much greater implications. My first two visits didn't feel like it fit. I will now try another one or two to see if I align. Thanks OT.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyNewStart View Post
I completely see your point and would call those very same points. Thank you. It is important, I do have an issue that I believe is incredibly important and worthy of the same attention of those who have much greater implications. My first two visits didn't feel like it fit. I will now try another one or two to see if I align. Thanks OT.
And OT, I have absolutely worried about the wife or son needing a driver. I've been lucky and yet I have worried much about that point. It's a gamble that I hope to eliminate.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome MyNewStart

Just posting here and reading really helped me in those early days.

We have a Class of September support thread for newcomers if you wanna check that out:

You'll find a ton of support here

D
Dee, can I bookmark that post. I'm n the light side of forum experience. I'm interested in your recommendation. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great day MNS