Notices

Newbie here

Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cotton99

Newbie here

This is my first post. This is day 4 without opiates for the first time in years. Today is really tough, super bad cravings. I really want to pick up the phone and make that call to get a few pills.....but instead, I'm going to the grocery store. Better to spend the cash I have on something useful, so I'm not as tempted to spend it on pills. I'm hoping the day gets better!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cotton nice to meet you youl find tons of support here
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome, Cotton.

Early recovery is definitely tough, but yes, the day(s) do get better, and easier, as long as I am doing what I should be (and not what I shouldn't).
Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cotton!!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
It'll be tough, but you can do it. You'll find lots of support here. And good luck with the grocery store, money well spent.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, cotton99, and congrats on your decision to live a better way of life in recovery. Post here once a minute if that's what it takes to keep those early cravings at bay. We're here for you!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cotton99

Today has been the worst day so far, I physically feel like crap. Dull headache, aches and pains.....and oh yeah, craving!! Maybe because I had the day off and was home alone. Tried to stay busy, but my energy level is pretty low. Helping my daughter with her homework was excruciating, maybe because it's the first time sober?? Anyway, I look forward to many more homework sessions sober, w/o the physical withdrawal. Tomorrow will be day 5, I'm praying for some improvement.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

5 days is really amazing Cotton things will keep getting better hang in there your doing great
Old 09-10-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi cotton! Yes, those first days are brutal - but once you're through it you never have to go back there. Proud of you.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you cotton! Treat it like the flu. It hurts bad and it goes away. No high expectations over the next few days other than taking care of yourself. Eat something. You're body needs nutrients to recover even though you may not feel like eating. Drink plenty of water. Calming tea can help a little. Use this time to see what those pills have done to you and pay attention to how badly your addicted.

You don't have to be addicted any more. You are doing awesome with 4 days under your belt. You put a lot of work into this already. You don't want to repeat those last 4 days again.

Keep going, you're going to be very happy you did!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
cotton99

Headache is gone now. I'm doing all the things I normally do, cook supper, get daughter ready for bed, etc. just without the buzz from pills. But what I really want to do is crawl in bed for a week, but my wonderful little daughter is the most important thing to me, and I want to make a better change for her. I will be SO glad when the physical part is over, even though I know the hardest part will just be beginning. In some aspects, I feel better already: I slowly feel a fog lifting from my brain, dark circles under my eyes that make me look like I haven't slept in days, are starting to go away. I guess I'm realizing now what my addiction has done to my body. All the more reason to stay sober!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great news cotton. Once you start seeing signs of improvement, it really starts to get better quicker. I don't want to get ya overly excited or have false hopes, but that means you're over the hump. The backside is easier than the front side.

I had an oxy addiction and was chewing on pieces of morphine patches for a while. What ever I could get my hands on. Addiction is horrible for you and your daughter. It's a slippery slope with an express lane to hell. Good job getting off the path to destruction and on the path to freedom!

You are doing absolutely fantastic!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome To SR Cotton.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

One day, one minute, one second at a time. Whatever it takes. It does get easier. I promise. Congrats on getting thru homework time.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Big welcome from me too Cotton

D
Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cotton99

I am glad I made it through homework time also. 1st grade homework is a lot more involved than kindergarten homework. Or maybe it seemed longer because I'm going through withdrawals while still trying to do things I normally do. Anyway, I made it through and I'm actually excited about doing normal things while just being normal, not using. I know I have a long road ahead, and I am so glad I found SR! No one knows the extent of my problem, not even my husband, so if it weren't for the support I am so grateful to receive on SR, I don't think I would even attempt to begin this journey.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
cotton99

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
One day, one minute, one second at a time. Whatever it takes. It does get easier. I promise. Congrats on getting thru homework time.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, CaseyW.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work Cotton
Old 09-11-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Same here cotton. A couple new I had an alcoholic problem and that it was bad, but still didn't know the real truth. It was really, really bad.

When I quit pills, nobody knew. I survived, but my addiction simply changed boats. I was always abusing something until I came here and posted day 1 on 4/20/15.

Wonderful people and lots of good advise. It's nice to share with other who understand.

Keep up the awesomeness!