Notices

A Couple Years Later - Same Spot

Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Couple Years Later - Same Spot

Hi Guys,
I've been off of this site for a couple of years now and am still struggling with my drinking. I know I need to do something different but am at a bit of a loss figuring that out. I was in rehab last year - admitted for xanax addiction that developed when I tried to switch from alcohol to xanax. It worked for a while (the xanax) but ultimately was drinking and taking xanax and very close to death.

I haven't had a pill since May of 2014 and was completely sober for 8 months until relapsing in Jan or Feb of this year. I've been on quite the bender for the past 5 weeks and am taking more and more risky chances (driving, etc.). I 'commit' to stopping about every three days, take a day off, and am back at it again....almost unaware of that first drink.

My drinking is starting to really strain my marriage and can't be good for my 1 and 3 year old boys. I know this is hard for my wife and need to put her and my boys first. And I know I can't do that unless I am sober. Going back to rehab is not in the cards for me. I asked my Doc about prescribing me some antabuse for accountability but was told only if I go into rehab. So that's out. I have spent years in and out of AA and while I appreciate the program, it has not worked for me. The two years I was sober in my 20's were due to a big internal change and adopting a completely healthy lifestyle. I think I need to get back on that path.

I am trying to remember just for today....though I woke up yesterday saying that and was drinking by 4. Office just re-stocked the liquor cabinet. I have to beat this despite it being around me...that's just life. Anyway, I know alcohol is going to kill me and I feel consequences just looming. I do not want to drink anymore. Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Best to you all.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Make yourself accountable change will come
Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

RiverFriend, glad you came back. You may not feel that AA works for you, I didn't either until I decided that being sober was way more important than any prejudices I had. In addition, there are other groups based on different philosophies.

IMHO, this is such a nasty disease that if we want to get and stay sober, we need to commit to doing whatever it takes. Here's how I finally quit: IOP (intensive outpatient program) with backup of inpatient rehab if that didn't work; AA - and not just attending meetings but actively participating; psychotherapy, daily posting on SR, reading Newcomers' threads daily and responding when I think I have something to add.

I wrote up a comprehensive gratitude list, made a summary of the pros and cons of drinking and also of not drinking; I avoided people, places and things that could potentially result in my slipping.

In other words, this is so important to me that I will do anything and everything to stay sober. My life depends on it.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by RiverFriendAgn View Post
I was in rehab last year...
Can't you apply what you learned in rehab to your present situation. Or was it just being unable to get xanax and alcohol that kept you sober?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try another doctor. Or ask the doctor if he will prescribe if you attend outpatient therapy. It's worth a try!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back RiverFriend. Realizing the problem and seeking help is a great first step, glad you've come back to SR to seek it.

One thing that sticks out to me in your reply is that you have a pretty good list if things that you "can't" or "won't" do. Rehab isn't in the cards. You can't get antabuse. AA does isn't for you. Those things might all be true, but one of the things that you'll find is that every recovery method is going to require you do do things that you don't want to do. There is no "easy" way to get sober. Even if you are able to get a prescription for antabuse, it is not a recovery method - it's usually a temporary solution until one can get started in a recovery program.

There are other options though - AVRT or some of the self paced methods that you can read about here. There are also other meeting-based recovery methods like LifeRing and Celebrate Recovery. Don't rule outpatient rehab out or addictions counseling either.

Bottom line though, none of them will work if you don't have a desire to get sober or put ion the necessary time. Your 8 month stretch proves that you can built up exteneded sobriety time...build on that moving forward.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

RF - I sort of tried different things to get sober for years. Bounced around meetings and chit chatted with friends I met. Read some books - took some antabuse, Nothing stuck. Nothing worked.

Then I reached a point of acceptance and willingness I never had reached before. I verbalized a lot that alcohol could kill me, but came to truly understand this statement. It will and it does, daily.

Sobriety is an inside job............I had to come to terms with that. Once I did, I think any legit program I engaged with for support couldn't fail. It wasn't the program not working, it was me not working a program.

Keep coming back, glad you're here!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, RiverFriendAgn. Lot of good advice here already. Hope you'll make SR a regular part of your recovery plan.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=RiverFriendAgn;5530013 and am taking more and more risky chances (driving, etc.). [/QUOTE]

My drinking and driving led me to facing jail which was my rock bottom to stop drinking.

perhaps you could imagine what life would be like for yourself in jail or even worse car accidents directly responsible from your drink driving causing death.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and life will only get worse by continuing to drink.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back,

I think Scott's comments are very good. I think the motivation behind your recovery is more important than the program you choose. You mention that following a completely healthy lifestyle helped you with sobriety. For me, I find that balance is the most important aspect in my lifestyle now, and that includes exercise and (usually) good eating habits.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I know this is hard for my wife and need to put her and my boys first.
maybe its time to put yourself first IE focus on getting yourself healthy so that you can be the best you can be for them.

I like your idea about the healthy lifestye. For me the healthy lifestyle helps keep me from drinking. IE i dont want to get drunk and try and go for a 10 mile run tommorrow etc..