Notices

Idle hands

Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Idle hands

Cant help but think unless i can somehow get back into employment or find more things to fill my time, i'm always going to struggle with the demon drink. I am quite reclusive and get extremely anxious in social situations.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

can a mod please delete this ******* thread/post!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Harry... Welcome to SR... We've all been there. Trouble is the anxiety if fueled by the alcohol. I suffered crippling anxiety & panic attacks when I was drinking & of course the only way to stop it was to have another drink.. It became a vicious circle. It was only when I quit the anxiety went & became more social... Alcohol destroys us physically and mentally..... Well done for joiningg SR, you will find loads of support & help here...
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks jezza i hear what you're saying. Just right now i'm a feeking recluse whos own head and thoughts are eating away at me and drink is my only refuge. Maybe i'm just to nice "human" for this world.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Harry, I'm the same way. 90%of life is just showing up. But once you do, thing get better day by day. I was unemployed a few years ago. It really takes a toll on the self esteem.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Harry... I work for myself which made it even worse & drink became my refuge.. It took a real sharp shock plus crippling withdrawals which made me stop... Once you get past that day 1, it's all uphill!!! trust me, staying sober is a darn sight easier than getting off the drink!! Keep posting & do read all the other posts.. You'll be surprised how much of a support SR is.... It certainly has been for me as I'm not an AA person.... I've tried it a few times but...Nnnaahhhh not for me... Take care.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this thread could be really useful Harry - not only for you but others too, so if you don't mind we'll leave it up?

I needed a purpose for sure. Volunteering helped me a lot - it got me out of the house and feeling productive and good about myself again.

I also go back into hobbies and interests.

Even with no money I don't think there's any reason to sit at home watcving the TV and channel surfing...

with a little imagination you can really fill up your days

D
Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Harry,

I can relate. I've been alone and isolated for about 20 months now, which is a long time for anyone. I know that's why I can't maintain long-term sobriety -- after a while the isolation gets to be too much, and I pick up to numb it.

I've also been deeply hurt more than once in life, so me letting others into my personal life is easier said than done. Have to figure it out though, as I know that's key to maintaining my sobriety

Anyway, hang in there. Hope you stick around SR, and continue to post, letting us know how you're doing.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Harry, I know what you mean about idle hands, it really does help to fill up the time. Even if you are not ready to get out into open with other people can you find something to fill your time at home? Maybe build something? Take up woodworking? Painting? Clean your house from top to bottom, every last nook and cranny? Go for a walk in the woods? Read a book?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Harry, anxiety is soooo common with us drinkers. The more we drink the more anxious we get and the more we drink etc etc. the last year of my drinking resulted in me isolating myself more and more. It is such a vicious circle. Have you tried AA? Congrats on posting, I'm sure that caused you anxiety in itself!
Old 08-25-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with you re: idle hands. We really need something to focus our attention toward or the drink is such an easy option.

Work & the gym help a lot to keep me on the straight & narrow
Old 08-28-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all, thank you for the responses. If this thread is something which can help others then by all means keep it up. I wonder if a list of things for members to keep busy/positive/social keeping in mind using can cause anxiety. My brain is only functioning about 20% so: AA/NA, walking, reading.. Any threads around that might relate to this sort of thing?.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Harry... and happy you are looking for something to fill you time. Here is a great thread/list of ideas to keep you busy.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Welcome to the SR family.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really glad your with us Harry
Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we often feel at loose ends when we stop drinking and trying to stay sober. Balance is very important, in my opinion, so getting a job and finding other positive activities to fill your time would be great.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Harry there are some great ideas on this list. It's amazing how you can build your own skills as you work towards a new way of life.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome Harry.

Anxiety is maddening. It wears me out.

Drinking only worsens it.

Stay clean, it gets better everyday.

I was .01 binge away from big trouble. This site pulled me from the jaws of a life changing event I thankfully will never experience.

Invest time studying this website. Listen to the moderators and members trying to help. They are like internet sponsers to me. The AA Big Book is here.

This site educates and reassures, that once properly detoxed, we can enjoy sobriety.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me I needed to turn my lifestyle around, sitting alone with time on my hands was a recipe for disaster.

However my drinking was done after work so having employment in no way equals Sobriety, we need to build a foundation of Sobriety into our lives so that whether employed or not we keep our eyes on the task at hand!!

You can do this Harry!!