Notices

I fell off and I'm in panic

Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've experienced those "waves of panic all through the day" - - it's horrible. What happens is that drinking wears down your ability to fend off anxiety; it's a matter of brain chemistry, and it's worse if you were an anxious type to start with, or if you have an anxiety disorder or depression like I do. Alcohol alleviates the panic to start with, but continuing to drink makes your underlying anxiety continue to get worse. You have to bite the bullet and stop drinking, but also see a doctor to see if you should go on or adjust anti-anxiety meds.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
admitting we are an addict only means that we have lost the "luxury" of using drugs/alcohol without consequence. something has happened to us physically and our bodies can no longer assimilate the substances as "normal" folk do. we know how to count to TWO but we simply cannot summon the strength to STOP there.

we are just wired different. THAT is all we have to truly accept. in the same manner as someone with peanut allergy takes every measure possible to avoid ingesting any foods that contain peanuts or were ever prepared near peanuts. as long as they steadfastly avoid that ONE thing, all will be well.
This makes so much sense. When you put it that way, I feel like there's nothing "faulty" about me, there's nothing to be ashamed...thank you so much.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PasserbyDave View Post
Alcohol alleviates the panic to start with, but continuing to drink makes your underlying anxiety continue to get worse..
That's exactly what happens...I started drinking to deal with my anxiety...and of course it makes my anxiety 10 times worse so I drink more...
Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I understand this very well, many here do. What I didn't realize at the time was that alcohol and the daily withdrawals were the cause of the anxiety and panic, "Self medicating" would somehow indicate that the things you are taking are helping...when in truth the exact opposite is happening.
What Scott says here is the absolute truth. I took anti anxiety meds on a regular basis when I drank. Since I stopped, I don't take them at all.
Quit drinking again...you can do it. Stay close here on SR. Read and post often and don't take sobriety for granted.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I took anti anxiety meds on a regular basis when I drank. Since I stopped, I don't take them at all.
This gives me so much hope! Thank you so much!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post

That's exactly what happens...I started drinking to deal with my anxiety...and of course it makes my anxiety 10 times worse so I drink more...
Yep, yep and yep! Definitely notice less panic after about day 10not drinking. Lets do it!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you Sadie! Right now the anxiety is very high. I hope it gets better...
Old 08-19-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Patricia! Your story is a familiar one to me. Honestly, it sounds much like my mother's story. Much anxiety. Much fear. I've tried to help her in the past. We have lost our close relationship because she hides her relapses. If she reached out to me, I would totally help her. If you are willing to get better, I'm sure they will lend a hand.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Patricia, have you tried keeping a journal? If you did 2 months then you've really got the potential to do it again and for longer.

I've recently admitted to myself, my husband, my doctor, my counsellor, my sister and 2 close friends that I have a problem, it feels liberating to be honest and not hide it away like a dirty secret. I have a drinking problem, I need help, I'm getting help. Try reaching out, it might make things easier.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hugs Patricia and welcome back.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm glad you came to SR for support. It's really a lifesaver, this place.

Two months is more than I have yet (7weeks tomorrow), so for that I have nothing but admiration for you. You KNOW you can do it.

I think you maybe have to admit that you cannot drink ever again before it sticks. AV will freak at the idea, but the real you will rejoice.

I don't wanna sound preachy, just want to help as you've all helped me.

I think of being sober as being five years old again. We weren't born drinking, and we survived all of our childhoods not drinking. The body doesn't need it to survive. And look how happy we were, how much energy we had as children.

Stick around, and take the advice of all these people - they know what they're talking about, and they know exactly how it feels when you slip backwards

Andy
Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Take things one day at a time! Journal if it helps! Write down what went wrong and how you're feeling after relapsing. I did this and frequently go back and reread so I dont forget how horrible I felt. I definitely stil have low days but nothing like the first 15 or so... its nice to have that tangible reminder. Wishing you the best in this battle.Thats what it is - a battle for your life!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carver View Post
We weren't born drinking, and we survived all of our childhoods not drinking. The body doesn't need it to survive.
You are absolutely right Andy! My body doesn't need alcohol to survive. In fact, I survived quite a few tragedies in my life without alcohol before. It wasn't until 4 years ago that I started drinking heavily and now it seems like I can't even cope with the smallest problems without a drink...alcohol destroyed my confidence...
Old 08-20-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk