Notices

no weight loss

Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

no weight loss

I am on day 53 which is the longest I have ever been sober except for when pregnant in 30 years! I am a little frustrated that I have not lost a single pound. I have had some serious sugar cravings but have managed to not go crazy with the sweets. I have read posts where people say they have received comments on how different they look after just a few days or weeks of being sober so I am wondering why I am not seeing any changes. I feel 100 percent better with no hangovers just tired but would love to get that little boost of confidence by seeing a little change in my appearance.Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi Skipper,
Awesome job on 53 days!!! I haven't lost weight either, but have had people comment that I look better. I think it's my clearer skin, whiter eyes and probably not having that look of being sick and exhausted every day. Hang in there and congrats on your sobriety! I wish I could see the before and after of what my insides looked like. Weight loss or not, I'm just grateful to be sober!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Skipper,

Try to not be discouraged. Are you doing any kind of regular exercise? I started walking a lot and it became a great routine.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

trying to exercise but between the kids being out of school and being tired so much of the day I have not been doing much. would like to start walking daily just need to do it!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry about weight. ...it takes time for your body to re balance itself. I didn't lose weight, but sweets were big for me....
Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

weight loss isn't always shown on the scale. you can loose fat and weigh the same usually only if your working out though
Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
I am on day 53 which is the longest I have ever been sober except for when pregnant in 30 years! I am a little frustrated that I have not lost a single pound. I have had some serious sugar cravings but have managed to not go crazy with the sweets. I have read posts where people say they have received comments on how different they look after just a few days or weeks of being sober so I am wondering why I am not seeing any changes. I feel 100 percent better with no hangovers just tired but would love to get that little boost of confidence by seeing a little change in my appearance.Any thoughts?
Have you tried quitting soda?

Quit all soda including "diet" versions, you'll be amazed. You'll lose a few pounds here and there without even trying. I'm down over 50 pounds from when I quit alcohol in Feb 2014.

Simple changes to your diet and cutting out soda completely go a long way. If you have good legs and can exercise, that's even better.

I have bad knees so physical activity has been nil, but even in spite of that simply making changes to the diet and giving up soda really caused the pounds to melt off. Of course none of this is medical advice, just what I had happen to me.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt very tired in the beginning too. Apparently our body does the healing heavy lifting while we are sleeping.

In this case, I think looking better on the outside is an extension of the body getting healthier on the inside, and if you're body is telling you that it is tired, it is may be doing a lot of internal repair work still and need the rest.

Healing doesn't happen overnight, tho.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't lose a ton of weight right away, either. Best I can tell my calorie input didn't drop all that much because I was drinking so much that I often didn't eat much. If you're over 40 or so you may need to develop and exercise program to jump start the weight loss.

In any event though you're so much better off sober!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Skipper ppl started saying I look healthier around 3 months in
Old 08-17-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think how fast the recovery shows is going to vary a lot. It also depends how many other lifestyle changes you have made. I keep planning to sort out diet and exercise at some point but have not yet. Having said that I would not want to lose weight as I am tiny. Healthy for my height and all but still very petite. I just want to tone up a bit and have a healthier heart etc.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Adding in a walk is a great idea. The gym is also great if you can afford the membership and the time. I would also recommend drinking more water. This helps with so many different things, including weight loss. Keep at it, I am sure you will start noticing physical differences soon.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Skipper - I've been trying to get sober for a while. The first couple of times I had 30-45 days, I didn't notice any weight loss at all. Unfortunately, I've had several slips. This last time (I'm currently at 80+ days) and my weight has finally started to come down. Of course, I've added exercise and my diet has vastly improved as well. The first few times, it really seemed like I was just detoxing and I pretty much didn't focus on anything besides not drinking. Now that I feel stronger, I can add more things to the mix. Be patient and congrats on the time you have under your belt.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

My thought is don't worry about the weight loss yet. Just focus on eating healthy, taking good care of yourself, and try to get some exercise. After the sweet cravings go away, then figure out what you want to do about the weight, if anything.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there. But I know what you mean. I think it takes the body a while to readjust to healthy living.

As I'm sure you know, adding exercise will definitely help. And good eating habits. I'll admit, this weekend I ate horribly and waaay to much, but made a plan to get back on track starting today.

Even with a good healthy eating lifestyle, it's ok to have a "bad" day every and then.

It's all about exercise and diet!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 53 days alcohol free!

I would encourage you to not focus on weight loss. As was mentioned above, everyone's healing takes a different course. That said, you may find that adding a walk will actually boost your energy and make you feel less tired and help you to sleep better.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had a huge weight loss. The weight of being an alcoholic was lifted from me. People look better because they look healthy and has nothing to do with weight
Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I had a huge weight loss. The weight of being an alcoholic was lifted from me. People look better because they look healthy and has nothing to do with weight
I literally had huge weight loss Lol

Lost a ton of fat off my belly area, I still have some stretch marks on the side. Then again I was mostly a beer drinker, so maybe that has something to do with it. After the fact I learned that beer is loaded with sugar, calories, and carbs.

Yup, I really ballooned up over the years. As soon as I quit I started losing weight it would seem.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I literally had huge weight loss Lol

Lost a ton of fat off my belly area, I still have some stretch marks on the side. Then again I was mostly a beer drinker, so maybe that has something to do with it. After the fact I learned that beer is loaded with sugar, calories, and carbs.

Yup, I really ballooned up over the years. As soon as I quit I started losing weight it would seem.
Unfortunately I did lose any weight but I'm pretty content being a slightly overweight sober alcoholic.

I tell my wife, "Look at the bright side. There is a lot of me to love"
Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks for all the responses! I just came in from a nice walk . hopefully I will see a change soon especially since I know it will just give me more motivation to stay sober. I did enjoy waking up this morning feeling rested since most sundays in the past I would start drinking in the afternoon and be out of it by evening . So weight loss or not I do feel great. Thanks for all the encouragement!!