Notices

Ultrasober, ultrarunner!!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Congrats!!

I tend to stick to 5Ks (and work on my speed) but I've never understood the whole drinking after a race thing. Drinking alcohol is the last thing I'd want to do after a great run / workout.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow. 50k?!! That is impressive!!

Delfin
Old 08-16-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats! I have a couple friends who are ultra-marathon runners.

They get to eat so much!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fantastic achievement, FreeOwl - 50K and in summer temps to boot! As for the beer, yes it does tend to be associated with the running culture like in hashing, pub runs and what not. Good on you for politely declining - so many other/better re-hydrating options anyway!
Old 08-16-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well done! What an achievement! Yay.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's incredible FreeOwl, amazing. 8 1/hrs of physical exertion, I can't even imagine. Good for you.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow congratulations FreeOwl

D
Old 08-16-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How wonderful, FreeOwl! I'm so happy you're doing great - & it'll keep getting better.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Very impressive
Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
zjw

Good job I'm jealous I need to find time to do an ultra its on my todo list! Between kids and chronic foot pain lastly seems there's always a reason to hold off. T

There is one race here that is sponsored by a brewery I never do it myself I figure what does beer have to do with being fit and healthy?
Old 08-17-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

thank everybody!!!

As for the beer - it was an eye-opener (once again) for me that hardly any of the runners were hitting the beer after the run. Sure, many would be visiting one of our breweries in town later that evening or over their visit.... but only a few were sucking down brews immediately afterward. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the guy with a cooler full was actually having a tough time finding takers for his offer of a post-race beer.

I met a couple along the way who were also non-drinkers and a good friend of mine met me at mile 21 to run in the last section with me - he's a big time runner and a non-drinker.

Once agian, my self-made illusion that "everyone drinks" was shown to be false.

And boy... did I feel GOOD making this accomplishment. Here it is, two days later and I'm actually feeling really physically well. A bit sore here and there. Definitely feel the fatigue and need a few days off, but overall - I feel WAY better than I ever did after a marathon in my drinking days.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Amazing accomplishments, both of them. You are a real star! I am decently athletic and really strong with weights, but running is something I would love to get better at. I am thinking of hiring a trainer specifically for running. I would love to compete in a race some day. You are a real inspiration for me! Congratulations again, enjoy this moment and the continued good feelings. Even the soreness is kind of nice, isn't it? A reminder of something incredible and healthy that you have done.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Even the soreness is kind of nice, isn't it? A reminder of something incredible and healthy that you have done.
absolutely!!

and as for running.... a coach can be useful, but really all you need to do is put on some shoes and head out the door!!

The wonderful thing about running is we can all do it - at our level, at our pace, at our intensity and distance. Sure, some of us may run by walking briskly.... some may need to modify because of physical injury or limitations - but we can all find our own way to run. The outdoors, the exercise, the meditation of it, the nurturing renewal, the time connecting mind and heart and spirit and nature...... it's the best anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, anti-alcohol, anti-addiction treatment I know.