Notices

The Most Dangerous Part of Sobriety

Old 08-16-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How does it go?

One is one too many, and one more is never enough
Old 08-16-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'd say that if you mean "when are we most vulnerable to the powers of alcohol," then the early days and weeks of sobriety are the most dangerous. That's when we don't have a solid foundation of sobriety under our belts, and when alcohol's voice is loudest and clearest. The first 90 days or so. Vigilance is required to avoid being complacent, but it's easier to avoid alcohol after a significant amount of time sober. Cravings have lessened, or are non existent. The early days are when the struggle is real. Just looking around this forum is evidence of that.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I had 5 years sobriety the last time I thought I could handle it. It took 4 years to get it back.
This I hope to never forget... thank you for writing this!
Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
under new management

Yep, 6 years sober and 22 years to get it back.

Complacency, over confidence, and carelessness with my sobriety was my downfall.

Today I am at 8 months and 16 days

Awesome thread
Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Very useful to have been reminded about this again. I walked away from 7 years of sobriety about 4 years ago, thinking that I was - by then - 'mature' enough to resume moderate alcohol use. It worked for a while and then, back to the usual binge behavior, waking up hungover much too often, re-discovering next-day anxiety and regret - same old pattern.

It took a serious case of erosive esophagitis to shock me back into a sober lifestyle. Now back to 56 days of sobriety and I definitely don't intend getting caught in the complacency & over-confidence trap again.

So thanks again for the good advice and head's up, TnTPoP!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Man.... working on the beginning of my 3rd week sober and it's been tough but I have not wavered....

My braintalk is really trying to get the best of me still....I cant wait for the day I dont even think about having a drink.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I have found time and time again that today is the most dangerous day. I never know what challenges lie ahead. I never know when the whisperings of alcohol will seem to make sense. I never know when my resolve will weaken. That is why I suit up and show up with my tool kit and sober army every day of my life.

So so many fail because they underestimate our enemy
"Today is the most dangerous day.". I'm writing that down.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TnTPoP View Post
I have learned through trial and error is not when your craving alcohol thats the most difficult. Its when you feel great and think you're finally over it and your brain tells you you're cured... go on... "just have one and i'll prove us right....."

For me, yes, I agree. I had some mini-quits, but they were before I "played the reel to the end". Because at that point, there was no "end". I was doing pretty fine, high functioning, but I knew I had a problem, but not such a huge physical problem, YET. I was able to quit without any withdrawals or medication or out-patient detox, or pills. I went back days later figuring it didn't matter since i felt healthy while drinking and while not drinking.

What keeps me away now, even though I'm feeling very strong, physically and mentally, is that my "tape" almost played to the end of my life. I'm scared and repulsed by the substance now. I have 47 days. I don't know if I'll always be this averse to drinking, but I hope so because it isn't will power or conviction, it's some primal fear that keeps me away. I've had several chances, including those fueled by great anger and I wished I had wanted to drink, but I didn't.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great thread, I had 2,5 years starting Feb 20th 2011, still trying to get it back, Im on day 2 and this thread was a good read.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Great thread, I had 2,5 years starting Feb 20th 2011, still trying to get it back, Im on day 2 and this thread was a good read.

Thanks!
I finally had a glimpse of a normal night last night... It comes and goes but the waves get easier if you just ride them out! You can make it I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi.
In my observation and experience trying to sober up after even a short period of being sober is a huge undertaking by so many.

Fortunately early on in my last sobering up process an old timer suggested I repeat this often during the day so it became my pet reference of thinking:

“If I don’t pick up the first drink one day at a time in a row I’ll never have to TRY to stop drinking AGAIN.”

After practicing that the work begins, with a clearer head.

BE WELL
Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TnTPoP View Post
I have learned through trial and error is not when your craving alcohol thats the most difficult. Its when you feel great and think you're finally over it and your brain tells you you're cured... go on... "just have one and i'll prove us right....."
This is the definition of "Been there, done that" for me. Probably a hundred times or more. It only takes me a few days before I get to feeling good again and then I feel like I can have another beer, but of course it leads down that path again. I know for certain I can't drink anymore, even during those times I'm feeling good.