Notices

Sundays are different

Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sundays are different

Quick update on the knees: Going well. Therapist is very impressed with progress, I've hit every milestone that has been set for me either on schedule or ahead of schedule. See surgeon next Thursday so we'll see if the braces come off. Freedom! Now on to the meat and potatoes of the post.

For about 3+ years, Sunday was a day to recover from the previous 2-3 days of drinking. It was typically a long day spent drinking Gatorade, water, forcing down some food, reading or watching something on TV to take my focus off of my hangover/minor withdrawals etc....I've not consumed any alcohol for 70+ days. I cannot express in words how rewarding it is to feel well on Sunday, not be worried sick about how I'll feel early Monday morning for work. The mind and body are now calm on Sunday, positive thoughts and actually looking forward to that early Monday start time as opposed to dreading it. I am also noticing the urge or cravings have reduced drastically. The memory of the weekend drinking cycle has faded. I do not find myself rushing through Friday so I can get home and start getting that buzz going. I am also experiencing a feeling that the way I'm currently living my life is the way normal people live their lives. The ones that aren't chained to alcohol in some way. Its quite a transformation. I am pretty darn committed to keep this going for a long long time. Jeff.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound really content.

Keep it going, it keeps getting better.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome to read Jeff, thanks for posting this.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sounds good, thomas11. It is nice not to be shackled to an endless routine of planning my next drinking, the actual drinking, and then recovering from that drinking, isn't it?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You really have come so far! Congrats
Old 08-09-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Jeff
Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I second your post... love Mondays now -- free from hangovers, withdrawals and regrets. Happy to know you are feeling great.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post, Jeff!

You've hit on something that really started feeling transformational for me as sobriety deepened. Yeah, this is how people live when they're not addicted. It's coming up on two years for me, but I'm still in awe of what weekends are like. I get stuff done and have fun. It used to be such a depressing existence for me. I'd feel like hell and get barely anything accomplished. To make matters even worse, if I was visiting my family in Wisconsin, I'd usually stop in Hudson to bring back booze so I could start the work week with a hangover.

To say that I appreciate weekends is now a major understatement!

Keep up the good work. You're doing great.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Quick update on the knees: Going well. Therapist is very impressed with progress, I've hit every milestone that has been set for me either on schedule or ahead of schedule. See surgeon next Thursday so we'll see if the braces come off. Freedom! Now on to the meat and potatoes of the post.

For about 3+ years, Sunday was a day to recover from the previous 2-3 days of drinking. It was typically a long day spent drinking Gatorade, water, forcing down some food, reading or watching something on TV to take my focus off of my hangover/minor withdrawals etc....I've not consumed any alcohol for 70+ days. I cannot express in words how rewarding it is to feel well on Sunday, not be worried sick about how I'll feel early Monday morning for work. The mind and body are now calm on Sunday, positive thoughts and actually looking forward to that early Monday start time as opposed to dreading it. I am also noticing the urge or cravings have reduced drastically. The memory of the weekend drinking cycle has faded. I do not find myself rushing through Friday so I can get home and start getting that buzz going. I am also experiencing a feeling that the way I'm currently living my life is the way normal people live their lives. The ones that aren't chained to alcohol in some way. Its quite a transformation. I am pretty darn committed to keep this going for a long long time. Jeff.
Great job Jeff! 70+ and still having cravings huh? Guess I need to hunk'er down and hold on for the ride since this is day 7 for me. Great inspiration your story is though. Thanks! !!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is great to see you experiencing the benefits of sobriety, Jeff.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great stuff Jeff

D
Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jeff, I'm so glad for you. Wonderful post.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice job. And I agree with you - it's awesome doing stuff on the weekend and not nursing hangovers. And getting ready early for work on Monday. Keep it up, dude.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is awesome! So happy for you!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Excellent perspective, Jeff. And I relate completely. More than just looking forward to the work week and going to my workplace (that I tended to avoid when I was drinking, claiming that I "worked" from home), I also look forward to challenges and difficult situations. These would usually freak me out when I was living on the edge between drunk and hungover all the time, but now I don't only have very little anxiety about them, I welcome these situations. It's not really new way of being because that's how I was younger before I picked up that nasty drinking habit: someone motivated and energized by challenges and problem solving. It's all familiar again. But instead of constantly over-extending myself, now I use my free time to unwind and then happy to be back, well-rested, curious, and driven. Sometimes I still can't even believe it seems like I've learned how to relax in healthy ways and how to find a good balance between challenges and peace.

Keep up the good work
Old 08-09-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Great post, Jeff! You've hit on something that really started feeling transformational for me as sobriety deepened. Yeah, this is how people live when they're not addicted. It's coming up on two years for me, but I'm still in awe of what weekends are like. I get stuff done and have fun. It used to be such a depressing existence for me. I'd feel like hell and get barely anything accomplished. To make matters even worse, if I was visiting my family in Wisconsin, I'd usually stop in Hudson to bring back booze so I could start the work week with a hangover. To say that I appreciate weekends is now a major understatement! Keep up the good work. You're doing great.
It's amazing what we put ourselves through- an how much more enjoyable life is without drinking. The time, the enjoyment of simple pleasures.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I love your post and you are so right. Letting go of the craziness of alcoholism is such a gift.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Good stuff, Jeff!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice Jeff

Yes, our Sundays are calm and easy now.
The battle with the liquid devil is over.
And we are looking forward to a productive Monday.
It's what I (we) always wanted.
Mountainman
Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Sounds good, thomas11. It is nice not to be shackled to an endless routine of planning my next drinking, the actual drinking, and then recovering from that drinking, isn't it?
Yes definitely. As more time goes by, it seems that the importance of drinking is becoming less and less. I find myself thinking "why was it so important to drink?" Maybe that's what people are referring to when they say it loses it power.