Notices

I think I'm going to experience withdrawal

Old 08-06-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to experience withdrawal

I've been tapering for the last week with my prescriptions. The 3 I have are oxycodone, percocet and valium. I was taking around 70-80 mg of painkillers per day, now I'm taking 60mg. I go through the day rather well, feel quite normal. For a while now I do not take anything after 6PM and I usually get up at 6AM. That's 12 hrs everyday with nothing. When I wake up, I hurt EVERYWHERE. Every joint and muscle in my body is in pain. I take my 15mg of pain medication and within 20 minutes its all gone, and my day goes just fine. But I am not sure I could even function (from the pain) if I could not have that first dose to get me going. after that I am fine. I've had days where I've only taken my morning dose, a dose at 2PM and one at 6PM and been totally fine. My scheduled dose is every 4 hours.
Valium, I really don't think I am going to have an issue. I have 5mg tablets and I take 1/4 of one before I go to bed. Its great, and I have not had to increase my dosage. Anyone with experience with this that would be willing to let me know what lies ahead would be appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is this the schedule your Dr prescribed? What did he/she say>

The description of your pain reminds me of emotions in early sobriety. I quit taking my liquid medication and BOOM. The emotions were unbearable.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jeff, I don't have any real experience tapering narcotics but have had a major taper from clonazepam - another benzo. I was on that drug by doctor's orders for about 20 years. It has taken me over a year to get to a tiny dose that I no longer take on a regular basis. I followed my doc's suggestions and cut a little at a time, very gradually. Worked for me. Good that you are thinking about this!
Old 08-06-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr
Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning Jeff:

I understand somewhat (in a small way) of what you are going through. I had a severe hand injury. My hand got in the way of an industrial saw type blade. I had three separate surgeries and 2 years of occupational therapy. I was on a cocktail of items. I don't want to sound cliché, but I had an honest conversation with my Doc. I never liked pain pills even though they did help. Benzo's on the other hand, I liked too much. I spoke with him in depth about this and he switched and modified till we found something that worked and that reduced my "need" for these types of medications. It was not a quick process, but we finally got it right. BTW, I do still have my hand and they did an excellent job reattaching my digits Hang in there Jeff, Your journey has been rough with everything involved, so I know you have this. I know you do. Call your Doc.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It will be an adjustment no doubt Thomas. As others have mentioned, work out a taper plan with your dr if you feel you won't be able to just stop on your own.

Keep in mind too that your addictive mind is most likely at work here too....it knows the drugs feel good and probably want you to keep taking them. You have already kicked that to the curb with alcohol though so you know the drill!

Also remember that addictive minds seek instant gratification. You have has a very serious injury with an extended recovery. The aches and pains are not going to simply dissapear, it will take time.